URGENT Help Needed......

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
I have been working on the Micra to get the 1.o to 1.3 swop done, i got it finished a few days a go, and back on the road Thursday night.

At first all seemed well doing short driving around locally. However today after the engine getting hot i.e fan kicking in a mis-fire started, gradually at first and then worse and worse. It felt like when the throttle body went on the old 1.0 engine.

So i changed the TB to a known good working one, and also checked that the fuel pump was held in the tank correctly as i have heard that they can come adrift causing surge like issues.

Just got back from testing the car after changing the TB and still the issue is there. You drive the car cold and even warm / normal temp on the guage and it is fine the car was flying along, but after a few miles of 'hard' driving the symptoms come back. First a gradual mis-fire then a worse and worse mis-fire, even to the extent that driving a 30mph is hard work.

The reason this is URGENT is that the car is entered at the Crystal Palace sprint on Sunday.......

So anyone got a good ideas ?????

Thoughts i have are ; fuel pump or temp sender ?
Is it worth doing a diagnostic run ? Will the ECU have logged any errors ? Will i need the symptoms to be happening when doing the diagnostic run ie do i have to have the car really hot ?

When driving it feels like the car is lacking fuel, hence my thoughts about the fuel pump

Also if it is the fuel pump how do you get it out of the housing its held in the tank with ?

Thanks for any help :)

try swapping the distributor.
If there is a fault it could be breaking down as it gets hotter?

If there was a fuel supply issue it would probably show up the faster you drove rather than be affected by the temperature of the engine.

Just double check for air leaks at the throttle body (damaged gasket, hose left off?) if you have been messing about there too.

The ECU needs faults to happen for a given time/amount of revs to store a code. If the EML isn't on its unlikely to have stored a code.

If your computer has a data list facility you can check to see if the fuel pressure is dropping off (faulty pump), drawing air/mixture issues (rich-lean not switching fast enough) faulty temperature sensors (amazingly high or low readings) or revs dropping off (distributor)

Been out this morning, to the corner shop and back, and no problems at all. Drove fine, engine got to almost fully hot and no mis-fire at all.

I think i've sorted it, i changed the dizzy today and after a couple of repeated test runs, i can't get the mis-fire back - so hopefully its solved.......

Back