universal exhaust question??

my mates bought a universal exhaust off the bay, and i had a thought insted of getting it all welded on etc, why not buy a joiner pipe? put that over the joint then tighned nice and tight?, obvusly need to put universal exhaust bracket to hold up, but do u guys think it'll work?, i no universalbs are bad but he dont wanna spend loads on it, but theres a few people out there that hasnt had problems with them so what ya think? will it work? :)

First off why are universal "bad"?? :confused: There is nothing available 'off the shelf' for my 10 so I had to get a universal. Its stainless, has decent build quality, a removable baffle and was cheap ;). Now to answer your question there is no reason why your plan wouldn't work. I bought a mild steel reducer and as I was joining mild system to stainless back box I welded the reducer to the centre pipe and slit the other end of the reducer to enable me to clamp it to the backbox. Works a treat. I also cannibalised my std backbox to create a sleeve that fits over the universal backbox incorporating the existing exhaust mounts. Job done :D

the stock joint is at an oddball angle leon, and there is a bend that goes over the axle after the joint
I know mine is a k10, not a k11 but they are similar systems, though the 10 doesn't have the rear joint like the 11 it still has the over axle bend. I just cut it off tight to the backbox

I know mine is a k10, not a k11 but they are similar systems, though the 10 doesn't have the rear joint like the 11 it still has the over axle bend. I just cut it off tight to the backbox
aye, leon can cut his silencer off eh ade, it does,nt leave a lot of room tho, a straight pipe instead of the silencer is an option :)

aye, leon can cut his silencer off eh ade, it does,nt leave a lot of room tho, a straight pipe instead of the silencer is an option :)
It is a bit of a faff, I had to weld reducer on at a slight angle to ensure backbox was straight and had to 'relieve' rear valance! :rolleyes:

Back