Extractors + Exhaust installation ghetto style.

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
Okay, since buying a set of used hurricane headers from east oz (pre-modified for air con micra)... probably, a year ago, or so.

I FINALLY got the headers on the car this weekend past.

I'd love to share my painful experience in getting the headers on the car.

Firstly, getting the old exh manifold and front pipe off wasnt very hard, infact, the hardest bit was simply letting some WD40 soak into the old rusted bolts on the cat flange, and first primary cat converter bolts.. getting the stuff out of the car was pretty simple.

Just TRY and get the hurricane extrators into the car without:

removing the alternator completely
undoing the front engine strap/mount
bending the a/c pipes near the compressor
removing the a/c condensor fan assembly
removing the 02 sensor/bracket
bending/altering the oil dipstick guide
removing the whiteline underbody brace temporarily
spacing the alternator away from the block, because despite the headers being modified, they still dont clear the alternator.

To be honest, it would have been considerably faster for me to just drop the whole damn motor and bolt it right on. or perhaps just at least unbolt the a/c and move it to the side temporarily.

of course, because i had to space the alternator out from the block, the belt was looser. In comes adjusting the idler pulley.. this bit is so fun, when you cant slacken off the pulley's assembly bolt, in order to adjust the tensioner. Resolution? remove drivers side wheel, inner guard, undo whole idler pulley assembly off motor, put in vice, undo the nut, degrease everything, re-install on car and dont do the assembly nut up too tight. *sigh*.

the extractors have about 1mm gap from the alternator's plastic shroud. hope it doesnt melt off.

when you've finally finished and packed your tools away, it's time to vent your frustration by driving your micra through the burbs with only extractors on it... Have you heard/experienced this? my god. It's so loud it vibrates the whole chassis. it feels like an earthquake. the car has no power, because it just cant cope with no exhaust. and did I mention LOUD !@?!

Thursday the car goes into the exhaust shop for a 2" pipe with canon muffler. cant wait.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
hahaaha you poor bugger.

i had a similar yet less painful ordeal when I was swapping out my radiator on the weekend..had to take half my crap off just to get it in.

would've been pretty funny driving with no exhaust. should've recorded a little video or something

hows the kit going anyway? did you end up getting it on yet?

cisco

» CMF Member
Well done to get it all done ghetto.

Sounds like a biatch of a job!

Yeah how is that little car coming together? I absolutely LOVED the rear cargo tray, that really inspired me.!

Swapping brake boosters was slightly frustrating for me recently, but nowhere near as bad as this. Only because of the side-entry plenum, it puts itself right in the space that you need for removing the booster/master-cylinder. Ended up getting it out by squeezing in the actuator with my hands in this tight little space, just like you were pressing the pedal etc, but from within the engine bay.. That was pretty hard, but made it *just* fit out! Lucky *sigh*.

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
I have hours of fun trying to get my exhaust onto the car for MOT's and etc. I always work it out but a week later I forget how its done.

I do know that one goes in the bottom a little bit, then the other one does. Then you somehow edge them up to where they are meant to be. Its a lot of flaffing about!

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
lucky you're a big strong guy cisco hehe

Attachments

• 11511.jpg
    11511.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 42

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
okay okay, everyone stop begging for pics! hahaha. sheesh.

Here's what it looks like from the back. the muffler is so cool, it's a little stainless canon, with a fluted/trumpet style tip (flanges out at the lip).. so Japanese :)

Attachments

• 11613.jpg
    11613.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 34

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
and 'under' pic... sorta.

anyway, the front pipe off the headers to the resonator is 2-1/4", then 2" from the resonator back to the muffler.

there is NO cat in this car, at all. ;) it sounds like a rally car, it's not noisey when just cruising along, but when you nail it, it barks loudly, when you de-accel it pops and splutters, rally style! when you get it high up in the revs and gear change, sometimes it pop's or mildly back fire's, it sounds soooo coool.

it's a whole different car now too. it actually has some 'go' in the upper revs, previously the car hardly revved above 4k rpm, totally gutless, now it just revvv's... need to get a tacho back into the car I think :)

Attachments

• 11614.jpg
    11614.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 33

cisco

» CMF Member
Nice system ghetto.

Any reason for not having a cat? Is it a mega fine in WA?.. $10000 like it is here?

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
w0000, lil red is getting some upgrades :D, bummer about the extractor install, otherwise the micra is looking good mate.

matty, i think the bumpers are reflecting the sky somewhat, otherwise use the buttons on your screen and adjust the colour temp too 6500K,

Alex

Attachments

• 11682.jpg
    11682.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
im a bad man. heh. i do still have the cat if absolutely required, but i honestly dont see my car getting defected in the near future, it looks like a subtle regular micra :) that may change when the kit goes on. even still, the cops will probably just laugh at it when it goes past.

it sounds so angry with nocat, it burbles, pops, very grunty.

Back