Unidentified Lowering Springs.....

Cheef

Buy & Sell Member
Got a set of these red lowering springs. But the problem is I don't know if they will fit and seat properly in my K11, OR what drop I could achieve. I'm sure they will be stiffer though?

:wasntme:

Coils.jpg

Coils1.jpg

Coils2.jpg

Coils3.jpg

So, What's your opinions then?

fronts possibly...but id reckon the rears will be too thin (not that i can remember the size) also i dont think they'll sit properly as they dont have flat ends, if you get what i mean.

fronts possibly...but id reckon the rears will be too thin (not that i can remember the size) also i dont think they'll sit properly as they dont have flat ends, if you get what i mean.

Yes, you mean the "seats", Could possibly be grinded to seat though :)

They aren't proper K11 ones are they?

They look a bit small on diameter and long?

I wouldn't have a clue TBH, Hence their unidentificationificatories. :)

on standard dampers the inner dia of the front springs has to be at least 81mm and the rear springs outer dia has to be no more than 111mm
those springs look a tad too small

on standard dampers the inner dia of the front springs has to be at least 81mm and the rear springs outer dia has to be no more than 111mm
those springs look a tad too small

I've just checked them out diameter wise......Er....Which are the fronts and the rears again? :doh:

front ones are thinner than the rears. what i wrote are the parameters for the springs in order to fit em onto stock suspension bits

Ah Thanks. Will check them out tomorrow then. Hopefully they will fit without too much grinding etc.

Why pay for insurance in the first place, your insurance is invalid if you do not declare all modifications to your car.

I see, it's fair to be honest. If I were stopped and the Police were to check the insurance (for arguments sake) and they find that the insurance company don't have it listed as being lowered or "modified" what can be the possible worst case scenario?

Police and VOSA are getting more clued onto this.

If you get stopped and they inspect your car they will note everything they believe to be modified on your car and pass this onto your insurance to check. Most of these officers are trainned to identify modifications so the likelyhood they will miss something is low. When the call back confirms you have non-declared modification you can be arrested from driving without valid insurance, you car impounded and potentially crushed if valid insurance cannot be produced within 14 days.

If your in a accident, once the car is recovered and inspected by the insurance your claim will be dropped by the insurance. The insurance company will most likely pay out for the other side (if your fault) however i have heard of instances were the insurance companies have refused to pay out and people sued for damages.

The only things that having valid insurance will fool is the ANPR cameras.

Personally, the two most important thing on your car are your suspension and your brakes, I would never look to cut corners on these parts.

Personally, the two most important thing on your car are your suspension and your brakes, I would never look to cut corners on these parts.

Very well put Mike and thank you. In that case the best thing to do is don't mess with these springs until I get a green light from the Insurance side of things.

Appreciated Mike. (Y)

fair point mike but to be honest from my expericnce iv never been pulled over for a car inpection usally they just check that you do have insurence , and let you get on your way however its not really worth risking if the insurence company might not pay out !

If you want really low I think, looking at mine, that clio springs would fit, this would lower the car by around 4 inches lol

To update what i said previously, if you are found to be driving without insurance it is a £250 fine, £150 release fee for your car, production and payment of valid insurance and 6 points on your licence.

Basically it is your choice, however, never come near my car.

fair point mike but to be honest from my expericnce iv never been pulled over for a car inpection usally they just check that you do have insurence , and let you get on your way however its not really worth risking if the insurence company might not pay out !

Depending on the officer, grief you give them, priorities for the month or what ever else may affect it. They can do a full inspection on your car if they wish and i know from friends that are traffic police that this is starting to become more common.

Again, basically it is your choice, however, never come near my car.

To be fair though, i may as well not have insured all my mods for such a huge cost, cause when I crashed no one looked at it, It got taken to Matt Humphris and then I spripped it, it could have been a 2.0 turbo and they would have been none the wiser!

Yeah but if one of your struts snaps and causes and accident they will look at the suspension and see it's modified, you never know what type of crash you will have

Yeah but a dodgy strut didn't CAUSE the crash. If they suspect a modification was the cause of an accident they will check. WIth yours they saw that you came round a corner and into the back of a car, they decided driver error not car malfunction so had no reason to check

Thank your lucky stars Modded, Anyway so I had my K on a ramp recently and put the new springs against the originals on the car. They're only 1 mm different in internal diameter front and rear! :p

BUT I require a pic of some original K11 spring "seats" please. :)

I fitted the front springs today. Surprising to see that after reading on here that the springs have flat seats top and bottom, They didn't on my K11!

SPRINGS.jpg

Now I compared the two springs and came to a decision to fit them and see how they seat and how low the car will drop.

SPRINGS3.jpg

VERY surprisingly the car now sits slightly higher on the front.

I love this bit

SPRINGS9.jpg

Will cut some coils off to get my drop. As well as to get my front driveshafts level again. (Y)

Unbolt the shock, lean on the drum (make sure the car is on axel stands on the body not the axel lol) then the spring will just drop out.

Don't cut the front springs as the weight of the car should level it

Thanks for the first paragraph Olly. (Y)

However the reason it sits high is simply because the car doesn't weigh f*** all to begin with in the first place!!! :doh:

Yeah but the engine weighs a fair bit, you got pics of them installed on the car? If it's too high then take them off and chop them

Yeah but the engine weighs a fair bit, you got pics of them installed on the car? If it's too high then take them off and chop them

I really REALLY want to chop them. My setback is that when I take a corner the least bit spirited one side will compress and the other side will expand and probably cause the spring itself to come away from the seats, then compress and clang and spin and generally be a total danger zone. :doh:

But as tomorrow comes I will complete the rears and see where she sits. I'll take step by step photos and add them to my blog. ;)

BTW is supposed to be VERY easy to push and pull out my damper piston or are they pretty worn???!

Can I thread the dampers so I can get a shorter spring on and put a castelated nut on it to secure the top mounting plates?

cheef be aware when replaceing the rear springs.....when you have unbolted the shock (in the boot) and you jack the car up only go as far as the rubber brake pipe will alow, to far and it it rip, but you will see what i mean when you do this

Kindly noted. My K now looks like a Tonka Toy! I now have minimal pitch and roll and now because of my driveshaft angles my CV's have started knocking. :doh:

WTF lol

sorry buts thats the funniest thing i've seen on the net today,

if you really want to risk cutting springs,

cut the standard ones or fork out for the real deal.

Even if I cut the standard ones they compress so easily, The problem is when a speed hump or corner is taken at a decent entry speed, There is a chance they will come away from their seats. :doh:

For now I'm gonna use my K as a learning curve and experiment different things on it. If anyone needs any info on how to do what and where to fit what I'm happy to use mine as a guinea pig.

Back