Uni Project help

joshbl

Site Supporter
Hey there. For a small project at uni I've decided to make a 2nd de-cat for my 1.3 K11. If anyone has done the same before or has any measurements, I would be rather grateful as using my car on a daily basis makes it a rather inconvenient to take it all apart for measurements.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Chars
Josh

Oooh, have you got the facility to make nice laser cut flanges?
It doesn't sound like much of a project, a couple of flanges - cut by hand, and a bit of pipe welded between, not more than a couple of hours work, and not much design possible. Of course I have no idea of the context of the assignment.

Where abouts are you studying? is home or uni Worthing?

Ye It just has to be something small. Will be going onto larger things next year. Planning to race ready a fiat 126 with 2 friends.
So I'll have to get the car on a rolling road for a before and after, write about it's function, why it's needed and the benifits of it.
Yea I'm doing a university of Brighton course (motorsport engineering) at northbrook college.

i made mine in, but used the cat as a sort of jig, but then again i already had the flanges cut so it only took me half hour to weld it up and refit so the car wasn't disabled for long, you will be lucky to find dimensions etc., your much better off taking it off and measuring it, beware there's a 'twist' between the cat flanges.

take the old cat...cut off the flanges either side...measure a 45mm in diam piece of pipe...cut cleanly then weld the pipe to the flanges and re-fit....should take 1-2 hours.......**I said 45mm diam pipe because its 10mm bigger then stock and will be proper job**

Jas (Y)

That's a much simpler way, but of course being for uni, I'll have to make up the flanges on CAD first and then make them myself and all that jazz. But thank you anyway.
One thought was to narrow it in the middle by about 10mm to speed up the flow and reduce pressure. Works in theory, but would it work in this application...

if u reduce the stock size it will be 28mm in diam...wich is far too small....if u think about it....they design the whole thing to run perfectly with the engine e.c.t......so imo i would go 10mm bigger.

I have no idea about making flanges,lol but as its your project im sure u do.

Back