Project James K11 turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
You may wish to read here for where this started but basic summary is as follows:

James T aka Nismo Vspec brought his K11 to me to turbo. This as far as we know has never been done to a 1.4 K11 before, and as such presents some challenges from the Nissan/Renault K11 hybrid. Initial impressions seemed positive; by using the Emanage and converting the fuel rail to take 'normal' sized injectors we had the car running at 5psi of boost. The immediate problems lied with the standard ECU being a non-ECCS model rather a new Bosch Motronic MPI system. No real problems you would think except for the ability of the ECU to deal with external influences - namely the Greddy Emanage. The ECU would simply compensate for everything it did. The result of this was an engine that would not run as rich as it needed to for optimum reliability, and would go dangerously close to lean.

The story ended where James left here in his car and noticed a lack of oil pressure on the M25 little more than 20 minutes after leaving, the result of which was me towing his car back to mine where it has quietly sat since. During the last couple of months with the car out of action it gave James a chance to decide where the project should go and we eventually decided to start again and this time do it the right way from the outset. This is where this project now begins.

At this moment in time the engine is out of the car and the lack of oil pressure mentioned previously was the result of a split nylon feed to the oil gauge. The only other thing note worthy is oil on the exhaust side of piston no.3 I assume that damage was caused to the rings/piston crown as a result of intermittent firing/ possible blocked injector on this bore.

This now brings us to the present from where I shall begin with a new post.

I want to keep this thread clean so if you wish to ask questions etc about this Project, please do so in a separate thread here.

I am now stripping the engine down from which an intensive rebuild will begin. The first stage of which will be to have a set of forged low comp pistons and uprated conrods produced. I shall post picts of this shortly.

The head is now off the engine and as suspect piston no3 has a melted crown. This is most likely due to a poor injector. All the other pistons show no signs of damage at all which in some respects is quite remarkable. I have not yet taken any photos due to oily hands but I shall get some online soon. Next step is to remove the sump and finally a piston ready to have copied.

Pistons headgasket and other bits and bobs have arrived. This projected will be updated soon but it will be on the fms site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back