SuperTurbo Project Help

Dear Guys,
Am building a superturbo engine for fun but I want to build something that would make me happy. I need help with boosting the turbo,superchager,using a small nos system,etc... Baz has been helping me so far and he is a great guy... Ah guy has challenged me with a ga16de <<<<:p(115hp base power and rpm when aftermarket tuned reaches 7300rpm) which he is going to turbo... Am sorry but there is no way am going to let a ga16 beat my superturbo... This is more than just bragging rites... Few people buy these engines in my country and I want to show them what it can do... Any help can be posted,inboxed or emailed to [email protected]

Much thanks to Baz for continuing to educated and help me at ever step....

I can't please understand that a superturbo in my country is like winning the lotto... and the lsd gearbox is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow... So its what I have... Am gonna work with this....

well, the lsd box is rare everywhere and i think same is the ST, But i wasnt talking about that I was talking about the figaro turbo engine ma10et

mckenziecz, that makes no sense at all? William, you will not beat a GA16 turbo without spending a great deal of money on the ST.

Its a battle of power to weight ed and he may have power on my st but weight is his problem (alot of weight)... Am starting with the gearbox first ed.... Thinking lightened flywheel and a clutch kit... Street and strip...

I dont think its going to happen without either a huge explosion or a serious amount of cash put into the ma09.

@ mckenziecz - the lsd box is unique to the st , no other micra has it

Well am currently doing research and I set my engine limit at 170hp... which is good enough to beat that heavy slug... I know you guys are the foremost experts on the engine but its really my light micra st vs a heavy ga16 micra... we as also considering fiberglassing some parts.....

that there are other micras/marches with lsd

EDIT: I realized that i talk without explaining much. what i meant that there were other marches with LSD, wasnt talking about the 31v box

Other cars do share the RS5F31V box.

William, as I said you will NOT get 170bhp from the ST without spending a couple of grand.

that there are other micras/marches with lsd

EDIT: I realized that i talk without explaining much. what i meant that there were other marches with LSD, wasnt talking about the 31v box

Its the only k10 one though , out of interest which march /micra came with factory installed Lsd's ?

Yes, There is an lsd auto box... but 5 fwd lsd is weyyy better....
Btw am going to get emanage because no-one does the ecu remap here....

My first ST had the R box. It was a pain for the road & when it had more power.

Oil 0w40 worked for me, but racing 5w50 will be fine too. Gearbox oil 75w90.

Hey are they any pulley kits for this engine? Can they be made? Pulley can bring out atleast 15-20hp so am asking? Lets look into it ok

Well am currently doing research and I set my engine limit at 170hp... which is good enough to beat that heavy slug... I know you guys are the foremost experts on the engine but its really my light micra st vs a heavy ga16 micra... we as also considering fiberglassing some parts.....
do somtething like my set up or baz's and you will beat whatever u want. in my other st i ripped off all of the interion, spare wheel, back carpet.you will weight around 680kgs

Whats the best ecu to use? Piggyback or standalone? Thinking emanage ultimate or microtech....Whats your thoughts?
use the chip from a 44 ecu nismo one and emanage blue as baz said. if you remap stock you wont have the results you want. i know from experience. also 44 chip keeps the charger open for 3 secs when u leave the gas pad and also has better shifts because if this fact. bypass valve stays open and your shifts are better. check it

e-manage is OLD - stock ecu remap is better!! I ran e-manage blue, and then e-manage ultimate on my ST over 6 years ago, now I don't need either :)

I also had the nismo rom - in fact that's possibly how it got on the 'open market' as I shared it with nistune.

e-manage is OLD - stock ecu remap is better!! I ran e-manage blue, and then e-manage ultimate on my ST over 6 years ago, now I don't need either :)

I also had the nismo rom - in fact that's possibly how it got on the 'open market' as I shared it with nistune.

stock ecu has 4 maps and emanage many many more!so stock ecu is off! if anyone know how to program an emanage you should install one

Oranje, your not listening to me!! :) I do this for a living. I have been mapping e-manages for nearly 10 years, and stock ecus for about 6. E-manage is a compromise (and an expensive one at that) granted it DOES WORK and on the ST is useful but dont be fooled that its perfect because it isnt.

I now have taken mine off and use stock ECU running RNN14 MAF 8000 rpm limiter and 440cc injectors.

You don't even need more than one map unless your running different grade of fuels, and even then its not that hard to give an eprom more than one map and switch them...

Hey guys I have not used either as yet,the Mapped ECU or the emanage Ultimate. What are the pros and cons to each of each option, I know that the ignition timing can be adjusted using the emanage but I am ignorant to the remapped Ecu to be honest.

you have more options to program than stock ecu. In Greece where we have serious tuning and very good programmers no one from the serious i mean uses stock ecu. NO ONE. If you want pure power with much options you will use a new ecu or emanage like stuff. CHECK yourself and if you find a serious tuned car with stock ecu i will be glad.

you have more options to program than stock ecu. In Greece where we have serious tuning and very good programmers no one from the serious i mean uses stock ecu. NO ONE. If you want pure power with much options you will use a new ecu or emanage like stuff. CHECK yourself and if you find a serious tuned car with stock ecu i will be glad.

About 6-7 years ago most tuners here shared the same view and e-manage was a very popular ecu. However, like many things, electronic advances are very quick and since software and systems have improved greatly over the last 5-10years people have started to stray towards either a standalone ecu or a modified stock one, especially when it comes to Nistune. This is perhaps something which has not been adopted so much in Greece and is more of a UK thing however.

While you believe e-manage is a better solution, having used e-manage, Nistune and standalone ecus I can confidently say the capabilities fall in that order.

e-manage is ok but it not good value for money any longer and does not offer the same things. You would also not be able to have any advances in supercharger control if it weren't for a modified stock ecu.

Nistune, in it's initial form was quite basic, however it is a very capable system now and has a huge support network and does not come with the compromises that e-manage coupled with a standard ecu does.

Standalone is much more free but is one of the most invasive and costly systems, as it often requires a lot of supporting systems, like crank triggers, wiring loom work, different sensors etc. These are often the systems which those 'serious' people opt for, very few will be using a piggyback system like e-manage for that here.

I personally would not recommend e-manage, however if this is what makes you feel happier and you have the support of more tuners being available then this is probably a better option for you. Choosing an ecu that no-one can map, no matter how capable it maybe, is quite useless ;)

I hope, whatever you chose, you get what you want from the car, as that is probably more to the point here :D

P.S. You'll be happy to know that there are plenty of cars here in the UK running on Nistune modified ecus making a lot of power.

i dont want to offend uk tuners but seriously you cant compare same cars from greece with uk. you are better in building stuff in cars yourselves but when we talk about tuning see the differences. one greek programmer that Ed knows, has the worst programms with a lot of fuel and low whp using stock ecu.
As for supercharger i dont care because i am going to use new ecu and remove every pipe of supercharger and i will convert it to electrical as in new VW cars. I respect your view but i would suggest using stock ecu when you want to slightly tune and dont do serious mods. Compare a car with stock ecu and a one with emanage or power fv or whatever you like. I respect Nistune but no thanks.

Oranje. I have pulsar GTi-R easily running 500bhp on a stock ECU. You cannot do this with e-manage and expect it to work so well - in fact I know it doesn't I've been there.

ANY (and I don't just mean e-manage) piggy back computer is limited to the ability and precision of the stock ecu. One very simple flaw with piggy backs on Nissan is the inability to raise re-limiters. I can do this with stock ecu.
I can alter timing with precision with the stock ecu. I can change injectors, airflow meters and control fans and maintain the reliability of a stock ecu. (You know that e-manage ultimate has gone through about 4-5 hardware revisions? they all kept breaking - I know this it happened to me and I have 1500eur worth of dead e-manages in my workshop.

As I said 5 years ago I'd agree, but now I don't. You stick an e-manage on a K11 and you will see how stuffed you are as it makes every annoying aspect of the stock ecu 100x worse.

Its like engine bolt on mods. You can do so much but eventually to do a job properly you have to open up the stock ECU engine and make modifications.

You know I can do MORE with the stock Nissan ECU than Power FC can do? I think that says it all really.

The final nail in the coffin for piggy back computers for our cars is the price. E-manage is over £500 now for the hardware alone. I can supply fit and map stock ecu remaps for that price - including dyno. And the results are better and more stable. Thats before you consider the support from Greddy for e-manage. There isn't any.

i dont want to offend uk tuners but seriously you cant compare same cars from greece with uk. you are better in building stuff in cars yourselves but when we talk about tuning see the differences. one greek programmer that Ed knows, has the worst programms with a lot of fuel and low whp using stock ecu.
As for supercharger i dont care because i am going to use new ecu and remove every pipe of supercharger and i will convert it to electrical as in new VW cars. I respect your view but i would suggest using stock ecu when you want to slightly tune and dont do serious mods. Compare a car with stock ecu and a one with emanage or power fv or whatever you like. I respect Nistune but no thanks.

Using a lot of fuel and having low bhp figures will undoubtedly be down to the tuner's lack of knowledge & experience and not the ecu. As they say, 'poor workman always blames their tools'.

I think it's an obvious case of varying opinions. Here on the MSC, we aim to help people and give advice based on previous experience. There is no obligation what so ever to take any of it, so it's purely up to you if you listen to it or not. As I said before, if you are happy with the choices you make then that's the point. The facts regarding right v's wrong is a whole other matter.

I have no interest in getting into a debate on what is or isn't right and in saying that, this will be my last post on the matter :)

Some interesting points , I have a emanage blue still in my car , and although it works well the tuner here in Ireland said I am not getting the best out of my setup with the emanage, a stand alone ecu or remapped standard eu is the way forward and I agree 100% with Ed.

Oranje, after seeing the video of your car, its very laggy I must say is the s/c even working?Sounds like its just making noise

I am involved in Subaru's now and from the '99 models to present day most are running remapped factory ecu's up to 500+ hp depending on mods . turbo etc.

baz as i said i changed a setting in profec and put back 2 pipes that went off the ufo valve. i wil post another video. also if you know the lag isnt from emanage. if s/c dont boosts its a pipe problem. every st owner knows that. you try to find problem to my car because i dont like uk tuner works and opinions? remap stock ecu and post results ed and abz and who else wants. show a video ed of your working st or baz to see differences.

Wow,my head is abuzz with all this info, to be honest i can see the advantage of remapped Ecu but it can`t be done here,while there are good emanage tuners here,both William18 and I are doing work on our cars,he has a ST engine and me a turbo.I would love to try both options myself to decide but CANNOT afford to do so,so I am relying on the experience of you guys who have a lot more experience with the cars. I have a question for ed (please excuse my ignorance) with a remapped Ecu if it is remapped for a particular AFM and I switch to another how would it respond,how do I adjust it,would I need to send it back to the person who remapped it??

Back