TV licences

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Do you need a TV license if you have phone that plays TV or a TV card on your PC or a handheld TV or those jap TV watches/glasses?

yes you do, tv lisencing is scum. we live in a shared halls of residance thing and everyone in our block needs to buy a lisence each to watch tele. its crap. you definatly need one for a tv card tho!

So is it the home thats licenced or the TV?

What if all you owned was a laptop with a TV card and only watched it on trains etc?

If you are blind, you can apply for a Blind Concessionary Licence at 50%

lmao! should bloody hope so! what if you have 1 eye? 25%
or if you're deaf?

What if all you owned was a laptop with a TV card and only watched it on trains etc?

Its the home or as im in uni, for my room only, but we still watch tv in the kitchen

As long as you dont use the tv card at home you should be ok, and as long as you dont tell to many people you got it without a liecence

From Vodafone's website.....

Q: Will I need a TV license to watch mobile TV?
A: We have been advised by the Licensing Authority that if you already have a TV license for your home address then that license permits you and any members of the household to watch TV on a mobile phone anywhere. If you are in any doubt or wish to buy a license call TV Licensing on 08705 763 763 or go online at www.tvlicensing.co.uk

Was looking at getting a new phone yesterday, is mobile TV any good?

goldstar0011 said:

lmao! should bloody hope so! what if you have 1 eye? 25%
or if you're deaf?

If you stored the laptop at home you could still get a fine without a tv license, even if you didn't watch it at home - basically it comes down to if you have the facility to watch tele at home then you need a license.

TV Licensing sucks tho - id rather pay for what I actually watch on the beeb - umm, Medium, thats about it - or have adverts on bbc1 and 2 rather than pay £131 a year for whats mostly a load of crap.

Edit: Oh, top gear too :D

altho if your stored the laptop in your bedroom, no tv license checking guy/women is allowed to enter your bedroom unless they are with another checking person

so store your dodgey laptop in your bedroom, under lock and key

some info:
you dont have to let them in without a search warrant. there so called scanner detectors are mostly hype to scare you, they cant be used as evidence that you are using a tv. if you disabled your analogue tv tuner then they would be able to pick up any signals in anycase. just use a digital set top box to recieve tv.
the detector people will look through any window to see if they can seea tv and will listen to hear if a tv is on.

yep about that rik.

ive had about 5 threatening letters saying "our records say you have no lisence, you could be fined £1000!, our enforcement officers will be visiting you shortly". so far this year i aint seen one of em.

lol tv detectors make me laugh infact the whole process does. The only way you can watch tv away from home is when the tv is a battery powered portable one.

goldstar0011 said:
It's silly how they expect people to believe they can detect you using a TV, they have tricorders like in star trek lol
Unfortunately they can, one of my university lecturers also works for the TV licencing company!

It's quite complicated, but they basically tune into a special intermediate frequency on your TV. Every channel has a different I.F., so they can actually pick up directly what you are watching, even from down the road, and they can also pinpoint exactly where your TV is, in your house :wow:.

detectors are NOT hype.

Edit: More info http://www.tvlicensing.biz/detection/index.htm

they are hype though because thay cant catch you using the equipment, its not admissable in court as evidence. it can make them more suspicious of you though, and convinced if you live in a detached house. but as said you can deactivate your tv tuner and it renders all their scanning equipment useless.

The indermediate frequency actually stays the same. On radios its 10.7Mhz I'm not sure about TV's. However modern tvs are much better shielded than previous ones, and the recievers are better lessening the need for external anternnas that make spotting harder, if not impossible - ESPECIALLY in flats. There is simply no way to pin point you for example if you were in a halls of residence or multiple residence building. That is why they use so much of the scare tactics. Around 10 years ago I was involved with pirate radio, and even then when you were transmitting a strong signel it could take weeks before they actually found you hahaha. The days of the "radio authorty" before it became "ofcom" lol :)

i recieved about 12 or more letters. each one more serious. they start saying thing like court registration in (wherever yout local crown court is) has been authorised on your details etc. its all a load of rubbish.

my television licence for the flat im in at the moment is included in the rent. but if you dont have a tv, you dont get reduced rent :(

Krian said:
If you stored the laptop at home you could still get a fine without a tv license, even if you didn't watch it at home - basically it comes down to if you have the facility to watch tele at home then you need a license.

Not true - if you don't receive broadcast television with the device, you don't need a license. If you use a TV only with a Playstation or whatever, no need for a license. They need to prove you watch TV on it, not the other way round (you proving you don't).

You don't have to let them in unless they have obtained a warrant, and if you are in halls and the staff there let them in without a warrant, they could be in serious trouble.

TV detection is possible; they even have portable versions with rudimentary direction finding. But they don't use them - it's easier to assume every address has a TV, and the ones without a license are breaking the law.

Also, the area with laptops is grey. Portable TVs powered by internal batteries are exempt, and a laptop could fall under this. There has yet to be a prosecution of anyone using a laptop to watch TV, and if you ring them, they just tell you to buy one just in case.

you are breaking the law if you own a tv and only use to play with a playstation. if you never watch a tv programme in your life you still have to by law have a tv licence if you own a tv or any device capable of recieving a tv signal.

To quote the first paragraph of the important information section, of meh TV license threatening letter:

If you do not use TV receiving equipment, such as TV recievers, video/DVD recorders, set-top boxes and computers with broadcast cards you do not need a TV License.

So i'd assume that if you have a computer with a broadcast card then you need a license, specially as these days its guilty until proven innocent, not the other way around :D

i just read the bbc info, seems they have changed wording from what they used to have. before it was if you own an tv set you need a licence. thats why when you buy a tv you have to fill out a form, it tells the licensing people you have bought one which means you are a marked man. there is nothing stopping you from giving your name and address as micky mouse, disneyland though.

i have heard of some people who go to desperate measures not to pay a liecense, by "de-tuning" there tv (removing the chip that allows it to receave tv signal)

One of my flat mates brother got caught red-handed watching a tv by the liecencing people, so they sent him a letter saying he had to go to court, he then bought a liecence and they cancelled the court order.

Dont chance it tho.

after over a year of ignoring letters they take no action but keep knocking on the door. at some point they would either give up or if they had good reason to get a warrant they could get one, but i dont think they would. unless they heard /saw you watching tv. if they did have a warrant, before they come in, whip out your debit card, open your favourites saved online lincence form, quickly type in the details and click on buy. you now have a tv licence, and let them inside. tell them you have a licence, give them the order confirmation number.

Back