Turboing - Advice and guidance

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Hey guys

Im thinking about turboing my micra. Its a k11 sr with a pretty much stock engine. Ive looked into turboing quite abit but i just want to know if i wanted to turbo my micra (with stock internals) what is required?

- Turbo
- Manifold
- intercooler
- piping + feeds
- fuel pressure regulator??
- uprated fuel pump?
- ECU remap - is this vital?

I have read that remapping the ECU does increase power but its pricey. can i do without for a while?

Also, does anyone have a kit for sale, or possibaly for sale? or any cost estimates.

sorry to be a burden guys so thanks in advnce!! :)

Sulur

sulur

you geanraly have the idea of parts needed there are obviously more to be added to your list, my list was 3 A4 pages long of parts i needed...just down to one now :)

you need! some form of management mate or you will go through parts/engines like mad, as they say "the poor man pays twice" so i would just do it all the correct way first time round saveing money and time.

if im not mistaken tom 1.0 had his kit for sale but i think you need to pm kristian as has it atm

Thanks for the reply micra69, much appreciated.

Any chance you could give me a copy of your list? :p it would be helpful. Are you planning on turboing too? or is it already done and dusted?

I would be interested in a kit if it was for sale, but it has to be worth the buy. Ive had a look at that kit and it seems okay, but im not sure if theres anything missing.

Is there any chance someone would be seeling a ready mapped ECU :S bit of a long shot but worth a try? as mapping mine with ED would exceed my budget me thinks.

Thanks again guys!

Is there any chance someone would be seeling a ready mapped ECU :S bit of a long shot but worth a try? as mapping mine with ED would exceed my budget me thinks.

Thanks again guys!

No offence but if you cannot afford to do this right (each ecu is custom mapped to the car, and the single most important part of the whole conversion) then you cannot afford to turbo your car. Either save up for longer and do it properly or be prepared to waste a great deal of money when it all goes wrong (which is inevitable going on past experiences people have had here)

There is no short cut to this, without exception every single K11 that has ever had a turbo conversion done (that I'm aware of) without correct management has shortly died.

No offence but if you cannot afford to do this right (each ecu is custom mapped to the car, and the single most important part of the whole conversion) then you cannot afford to turbo your car. Either save up for longer and do it properly or be prepared to waste a great deal of money when it all goes wrong (which is inevitable going on past experiences people have had here)

There is no short cut to this, without exception every single K11 that has ever had a turbo conversion done (that I'm aware of) without correct management has shortly died.

Your right. remapping is definalty going on my list.

By budget, i didnt mean i have a set number, more like trying to avoid uneccessory expenses.

Im only a newbie so I'm bound to say silly things :p

Thanks

Thanks for the reply micra69, much appreciated.

Any chance you could give me a copy of your list? :p it would be helpful. Are you planning on turboing too? or is it already done and dusted?

I would be interested in a kit if it was for sale, but it has to be worth the buy. Ive had a look at that kit and it seems okay, but im not sure if theres anything missing.

Thanks again guys!

sulur
im still building mine atm, but yea shure i can give you a copy of my list but ive got a lot of extras on mine and tis costing £££ im doing mine at no cost spared all new parts ect ect
i could build you a kit if you want - the ECU that would be down to you realy but if you want to pm me we can talk a little bit more and i will give you a basic list of things need and any info you may need/want

sulur
im still building mine atm, but yea shure i can give you a copy of my list but ive got a lot of extras on mine and tis costing £££ im doing mine at no cost spared all new parts ect ect
i could build you a kit if you want - the ECU that would be down to you realy but if you want to pm me we can talk a little bit more and i will give you a basic list of things need and any info you may need/want

If you could build me a kit that would be awesome! But Im not going all out at the moment so a basic turbo setup would be nice :)

Can you pm me the list? I hope that isnt to much hassle, I dont want too much trouble mate :(.

Could you give me a rough estimate to a "cheap as chips" turbo kit? :p

Ive been looking at stani's blog and he doesnt seem to have a mapped ECU :S :S :S :confused:

yea i'll pm you it mate...will take me a wile to type it up :D

i'll pm you a rough price too and its best to not get on the issue of the whole unmaped ECU shabang, causes more hassel, but it needs to be done one way or anouther im afraid

Cheers micras69, your helps much appreciated :)

Ive put ECU mapping on my list, will have to start asking about who can do it the cheapest eh ;)

Its okay take your time, theres no hurry dude.

Thanks

thats right i havent had an ecu remap, its in the process though. however i did get away with 3 months use about 3 times without the remap and thats driving it the way its meant to be driven lol at crail every 2 weeks doing about 30 drags a time. it did eventually give in though and melt pistons but as i always said it was worth it its something ill always remember. but then you get to the stage where you get bored of that and just want to get it done and show it off. whatever way you do it, if you do it, its worth it

thats right i havent had an ecu remap, its in the process though. however i did get away with 3 months use about 3 times without the remap and thats driving it the way its meant to be driven lol at crail every 2 weeks doing about 30 drags a time. it did eventually give in though and melt pistons but as i always said it was worth it its something ill always remember. but then you get to the stage where you get bored of that and just want to get it done and show it off. whatever way you do it, if you do it, its worth it

totaly agree with you (Y)

Thanks for the reply mate, i totally agree.

I guess i will end up getting it remapped, though what sort of costs are we looking at to remapp the original ecu? I guess Ed has the answer to that :)

BTW stani, what turbo set up have you got going and have you a spare kit laying about :p

cheers guys

i think its no more than £400 to get the original remapped. im sure ed will answer, as for my turbo kit. lets just say it not what people would go for lol big turbo, big intercooler, small engine and hopefully as much boost as it can take. and i dont have any spare parts sorry. your probably best buying as you go, that way your spending £200-£300 at a time instead of splashing a whole wad of cash

good luck

i think its no more than £400 to get the original remapped. im sure ed will answer, as for my turbo kit. lets just say it not what people would go for lol big turbo, big intercooler, small engine and hopefully as much boost as it can take. and i dont have any spare parts sorry. your probably best buying as you go, that way your spending £200-£300 at a time instead of splashing a whole wad of cash

good luck

400 doesnt sound to bad for a ecu remap to be honest, was expecting more so thats good news.

Im not after a big turbo myself, low pressure but with noticeable gain should be okay.

How much have you spent so far on your kit? and what exactly have you included, or is it a secret :p

Thanks

I specifically recommend AGAINST piggyback ECUs on the K11. The stock ECU does not respond well to it. Been there done that, not worth the effort, and more to the point it saves no money.

I specifically recommend AGAINST piggyback ECUs on the K11. The stock ECU does not respond well to it. Been there done that, not worth the effort, and more to the point it saves no money.

didnt you used to be all for it ED? the emanage blue works fine if you ask me ive not had any problems and its working more than fine on kris's super s and im shure many more?

i mean im not looking for any hassel or a argument but you were full of praises towards the emanage now that you have moved on to the remap of the stock ECU emanage is usless and your way of maping the stock ECU is SOOO much better, anyone would say that to boost there sales....just seems a bit of scare mungering to me so everyone comes to you and puts money in your pocket (but thats just my oppinion)

No not on the K11, on many other cars they are fine. But the stock ECU has settings within it (accel fuel enrichment for example) which are exaggerated by the e-manage (or any other piggyback) which cause driveability issues. I have never been all for the e-manage on the K11 since the early days when I first tried one and it provided too many inconsistencies, however for a while it was the only viable option to anyone out there, and so the only thing I possibly could recommend, those like yourself who do use them know no different.

As for money, its cheaper for the owner of the vehicle to tune the origional ecu than it is to buy fit and map an e-manage, since a new e-manage blue kit is over £400 and even if you get it half second hand, it will still be more expensive if you get it properly setup than a remap. On that basis I cant see at all how the customer is worse off at all as you are trying to claim.

And yes mapping the stock ECU (or in fact using an after market ecu) is significantly better. How could it ever not be? You have direct control over all the core operating functions of the cars ECU.
Any and I do mean ANY other way of intercepting and altering signals to manipulate a standard ecu externally and trying to get the results out your looking for is an inferior way of doing things, with many limitations. I would assume this is obvious to anyone?

I'm no attempting to scare anyone, but I do know from my experience what I am saying is right.

I think its probably better to map the ECU itself but i havnt seen anyone with problems with emanage blue myself. Does anyone on here use it? if so hows it going.

Is it only the k11 that has problems with emanage

thanks

I can only comment on my usage of the emanage blue and so far it seems to be fine...cant say ive really gotten a lean accel spot that i couldnt tweak... mostly its rich, at the moment. Of course mines a different setup to what youre trying to do. The only thing i can say i had i a problem with was signal interference, which while a hassle to fix wasnt anything to do with its mapping / handling abilities.

Yes you need to keep tweaking longer but im liking the results.

A stock ecu remap is gonna be the best way, cos then the ecu does what the ecu does...instead of it being fooled (as it were). But as im mapping it myself and i got all the emanage stuff (ecu, leads, software) super cheap...imo its worth it cos ive save a good few hundred quid. Most importantly ive got total control, as im a little reluctant to let someone else fiddle with the car after ive spent so long building it. :)

Oh and while im here, you'll deffo enjoy the forced induction route :D

Thanks for the comment solarice.

How do you map it yourself? I would like to learn to do it myself to say abit of money, plus a usefull skill to have eh?

Thanks

dont get me wrong i'll never argue maping the stock ECU or a total replacement (stand alone) but i think the emanage is fine and its better than nothing at all. its a good base for somone who is learning, first time build or is always changeing and i got my emanage uba cheep too and i also like the fact that im in control as kris says

Your not really in control though. There is so much the blue cannot do and its easily overwhelmed. BUT I agree it is by far the easiest route if you want to DIY map your car, it can be made to work its just not ideal.
SuluR, its not just the K11, the Almeras for example really don't work well either with e-manage blue. However other cars like the Pulsar GTiR are fine. Its all to do with the limitations of the stock ECU.

DIY mapping you'll need a wideband of some sort to see what the engines doing, so you know what to change and where...tbh its really just a case of monitoring the engine while driving (i usually record it to review later), see if its rich or lean then altering the number in the corresponding boxes/tables to compensate, then repeat. Thats a very simple explanation...and insnt exactly as easy as it sounds, but then again what is. :)

Of course you'll need to workout a rough map before you do anything to try and avoid any excessive lean spots. (iirc theres apps on the net for getting a rough idea)

Youve also got map sensors, knock sensors and probably other sensors you can add to make it easier/quicker though your cost goes up at the same time. Which will probably make the stock ecu remap become favourable.

It really comes down to how much you wanna do yourself and how confident you are to try it, my mentallity was if i kill it, then i kill it. lol.

Does that include everything i would need stani? or will i need bits and bobs to get it complete. Also how hard is it to fit? Becuase it seems like thats a jobbie.

Thanks

well i have the emanage blue with its main harness (the injector harness is on the main one) the ignition harness and boost pressure sensor. as far as im aware its all you need but if your setting it up you wll need the data cable/software and a wideband lambda sensor. solarice will be able to tell you. as for fitting it it doesnt look like there much to it, go on micra.au, they have a good guide for it

Back