Another k11 turbo

CMF_POSSUM

» CMF Member
hi to all im a newbe i have a 1.3lt 95 lx 5spd im turboing and need some info. It has a t25 garret custom steam pipe m-fold small fmic 700x 180x 70mm and some of tonys old intercooler piping looking at only running 5psi without an aftermarket ECU. #1 does anyone know whether a apexi safc will do for fueling and which one theres afew? #2 or use a r33 fuel pump and rising rate fuel reg (with a apexi safc)? #3 does anyone have a buggered or not head i can use or buy cheap for welding exhaust plate to stop warping? im in brisbane on the northside any info will be appreciated thanks... ben

you should be able to get away with an safc for fueling, but you'll need to do something with the timing.. simply retarding the distributor will give you **** bottom end response.. you'll atleast need an r33 fuel pump, ga15 injectors and an adjustable fuel reg squeezing through as much pressure as possible. you don't need a head to weld it, it will warp anyway, use 12mm thick plate, then have it surfaced. a safc blue screen or safc2 will both work, you'd be better off with an emanage (atleast then you can somewhat control timing and injectors, with an safc your only controlling the airflow signal) and a modified sr fuel rail, but even then their's only so much you can do.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
As turbo said, you would be much better off with an emanage. SAFC might be fine for N/A stuff but it's seriously limiting if you're going forced induction. You're just likely to create problems for yourself and it's probably the least useful piggyback option you can use.

You can pick up an emanage blue so cheap there's no reason you'd go an SAFC over one. Don't skimp on the ECU is all i'm going to say. Speak to whoever is going to be tuning it before you go out and buy the ECU.

---dens

deNs WROTE:

"As turbo said, you would be much better off with an emanage. SAFC might be fine for N/A stuff but it's seriously limiting if you're going forced induction. You're just likely to create problems for yourself and it's probably the least useful piggyback option you can use.<BR><BR>You can pick up an emanage blue so cheap there's no reason you'd go an SAFC over one. Don't skimp on the ECU is all i'm going to say. Speak to whoever is going to be tuning it before you go out and buy the ECU.<BR><BR>---dens

yup.. that said thou, i've had plenty of customers buy used emanages which are useless and end up having to buy a brand new unit.. so be carefull. an safc 2nd hand can be anywhere between 150-300, and an emanage anywhere between 250-500.. i'd also reccomend mapping the emanage with the optional map sensor available for them.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Yeah personally I wouldn't go with an emanage blue if I was serious about the build (and why wouldn't you be? ;)) but a lot of people doing turbo micra buildups seem to be wanting to do it on the cheap. Not sure how the emanage ultimates are but I'd laying down what you want from your ECU should be where you start when looking.

---dens

deNs WROTE:

"Yeah personally I wouldn't go with an emanage blue if I was serious about the build (and why wouldn't you be? ;)) but a lot of people doing turbo micra buildups seem to be wanting to do it on the cheap. Not sure how the emanage ultimates are but I'd laying down what you want from your ECU should be where you start when looking.<BR><BR>---dens

lol. cause generally ppl that buy micra's don't have money to spend, hence why they bought a micra in the first place. cheap reliable and turbo isn't a good combination thou

smidge

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

lol. cause generally ppl that micra's don't have money to spend, hence why they bought a micra in the first place. cheap reliable and turbo isn't a good combination thou

!!!

that makes me happy seeing you write that turbo!

anyway,
you can only have cheap, reliable, and turbo if you got the skills and knowledge to fix/maintain it

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I can only say... spend alot more time to make sure the manifold is really robust.... and both smidge and turbo are right... I DIY'd everything including the electronics...it is possible but listen to the brains trust... save your money and do it right..example geoffW's car... if you don't have the knowledge or the time to fix things that go wrong with a turbo install (warped and cracking manifolds, oil, water, BOV seal breakages etc). buy a spare turbo when for when the bearings and seals blow,too. Mind you once you get a turbo you can't go back. the extra power and torque, maaaayte. (Oh, I didn't buy a micra cuz it was cheap, I bought it since it was mechanically superior to the other small cars, I do a lot of ks and I hate large cars. just happened to be relatively easy to mod, and they're great fun to drive)

CMF_POSSUM

» CMF Member
keep it comeing all!..... ive got the exhaust m-fold tacked up i used 10mm thick plate and 32mm id steam pipe with steam pipe bends its bout 4mm+ thick i have 4x m-fold plates left over these were lazer cut (from a gasket i got from an exhaust shop) it was painfull getting 4x 32mm pipes down to the size of the t2 flange it should work ok i was qouted $600 starting price for this at the exhaust shop so i diy`d

smidge WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:<BR><BR><BR><BR>lol. cause generally ppl that micra's don't have money to spend, hence why they bought a micra in the first place. cheap reliable and turbo isn't a good combination thou "</DIV><BR><BR>!!! <BR><BR>that makes me happy seeing you write that turbo!<BR><BR>anyway, <BR>you can only have cheap, reliable, and turbo if you got the skills and knowledge to fix/maintain it<BR>

still not cheap :p, i've done absolutely everything myself and my red car still owe's me a tad over 20k, and its still got a stock motor ffs. i spose you could have a cheapish turbo micra, but definately not a hardcore one :p

Back