Turbo whine/whistle - Micra 1.5dCi 82 SVE

Hi,

I went to look at a used Nissan Micra 1.5 dCi SVE 82bhp with a 54 plate this morning. We already own an 82bhp SE 04 plate so we know generally what they're like.

However, when taking the car on a test drive the turbo charger was making an audible whistling noise which was much louder than on the SE version we already own. Hence why I come here, slightly worried.

The car had only done 48k miles and seemed in good condition other than this noise, so we put down the deposit. Having done some research I read that turbo whine/whistle can be a sign the turbocharger is about to fail.

I guess my question is whether anyone on here has any experience with this issue and could post some feedback on the situation. I.e. whether this is normal for the model and whether this would be covered under warranty.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

I second that Jinata, where did you read that dan? Couldnt say but to be honest id rather have a 1.7 corsa diesel than a k12. Hope this helps :)

You couldn't pay me to have another coarser diesel, that said I wouldn't have chosen the micra if I'd known the engine was french.

I'm used to turbos whislting on stuff like the Land Rover but the tiny little thing on the Micra shouldn't be making that much noise. It could be filthy or it could be on it's way out.

The way mine is falling apart this year (34,000miles) I'd say low mileage is no guarantee of reliability, with the number of them about and the way prices have fallen I'd say walk away and look at another, but as you've paid a deposit it might be better for me to say make sure you get a long warranty.

You just wouldnt pay to have a corsa xD Hmm our renault 2.2 TDI turbo whistled before it was on its way out, perhaps its something that can be sorted, lubricating something on the turbo perhaps?, maybe that micra shouldn't be used until you definately know whats up with it :).

Maybe Frank will know xD or stan (with their cool turbo k11's)

The newer nissans seem to have unreliable turbos. The N16 ones are like cheese and the x trail turbos are common for breaking aswell.

my turbo (just rebuilt) whistles but i put the noise level down to the fact that the air filter and intercooler pipes arnt conected up, couldnt be that one of those has fallen off? otherwise, did you check for shaft play in the turbo? definately worth doing.

Back