Turbo micra

Hi there I'm sure there is a lot of similar questions on here but I'm just wondering what the best turbo is to use on the standard k11 motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look through a few of the blogs theres a few with tons of pics of turbo builds. K11 blogs that is. If you look in thread title its a big give away

'Best' will depend on personal preference.

Garrett T2/T25 or a CT9 from a Starlet are becoming popular choices as they're in good supply.

That's what I was thinking of going with the turbo of the starlet/glanza but wasn't sure what the official name/product code of the turbo was so thankyou for the help

I think somebody has adapted a glaza manifold also. They chopped it flange of and welded a micra flange.

which one's best is a subjective choice depends on ur specification of cost, time frame, reliability, application, legislation, target performance.

the little micra engine can only generate a finite amount of combustion gas energy on top of the inlet pressure so picking a turbo geometry that best utilises the limited gas flow is crucial.

cheaper older basic turbos have a fixed geometry so it's optimum gas flow range is narrow (have to choose either a small responsive low-rpm low boost torquey turbo but very restrictive at high-end, or a big high-boost high HP high-rpm turbo but very sluggish laggy at the low end). they also use journal bearings, which affects response time, don't last as long as ball bearing and highly dependant on a good reliable high pressure oil feed.

more exotic newer turbos offer a wider optimum range, variable geometry, lighter materials, ball bearing shaft, super responsive & reliable, and electric assisted turbos tries to eliminate lag & gas flow issues of past turbos. but all this comes at a much higher cost.

picking a turbo is just the tip of an iceberg with hundred other factors to consider throughout the car. doing it right with safe reliable drivable HP will take alot of time, money, effort.

I use a Turbo Technics S116 Renault 5 GT Stage 1 T2 turbo with staggered turbine seal & 10psi actuator optimised for mid-end torque band. all the systems throughout the car has been upgraded/developed to handle the stress of trackdays.

11-jpg.44737

https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobile-ii-specification.65262/#post-730142

That was mega helpful thankyou it's going to be a while yet before I do the turbo but I wanted to hear from people who have already done it and see what there suggestions are and you've summed up pretty much all the different options and things to consider so now it's just a case of making and buying parts and tuning it accordingly

Back