Turbo Kits and their worth......

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
Hi all, i was bidding on this hks turbo kit last night and i almost bought it. The reason why i held back was because of a few questions i had in my head. Another main reason is because i have already bought that march cup computer thingy and impul manifold! Anyways, here are my questions,

1)what would it cost to fabricate a turbo system here in australia? ie similar to that in the pics.

2)this kit had no computer and intercooler. the owner suggested to use emanage. is this piggyback good enough? what is the difference between emanage and emanage ultimate? what model emanage do i buy as i dont see one that is made for the cg13? Do the emanage harness's plug straight into the aus spec computers?

3)what sort of power would i expect from this kit?

4)what would fuel consumption be like? at the moment its about 5-600km per tank.

5)other than those items in the pictures, what other items would i need? apparrently something needs to be done to the oilpan? would i need a fuel pump? metal head gasket?

6)what would it cost to integrate an intercooler into this kit? ie welding of pipes etc?

thanks in advance all. still trying to decide whether to stick with n/a or go turbo.

Attachments

• 11257.jpg
    11257.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 52

CMF_ayat

» CMF Member
looks a nice a kit to buy, ideally an intercooler if u wanted higher boost, emanage will do but not the best, if ur getting this kit quite cheap it would be worth it simple for the manifold and turbo, ideally u want to ither forge the internals or get a thicker headgasket, uprated fuel pump, larger injectors, feul pressure regulator, and off u go(oil/and or/water lines to coll the turbo ectetc) in the uk fitting and mapping the kit would cost a bit, feuling and timing would need to be remapped as a must. the emanage is the best piggy back ecu, but u would be better off paying extra for complete ecu, dont bother using extra injectors they are not very smooth, plus if anything fails youll probably blow ur engine. looks a tidy install and with the above extras will see some great power.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
is this kit from Ebay? AUS? any links?

i agree if its at the right price go for it. you can sort an intercooler out at a later date (not to later tho ha). run it at a low 6/7psi until you save up a bit. thats my plan anyway. got downpipe and manifold so far.

as far as pricing for piping. all i know is that it is around £15 a bend here in UK. aprox around $35AUS. hope this helps. any links to that kit would be appreciated. cheers

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
My conversion (on my old Turbo Micra) cost AUS$5000 which included:

Microtech LT8 ECU
T25 Turbo
HKS BOV
K&N filter
Manifold
Exhaust
5 Guages

And everything to get it from n/a to turbo and running!

But I knew alot of helpful people too so I'd budget around $8,000

Sean

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi "GTRHolic",

This looks like the basic HKS "bolt-on" kit for the GC13DE. This kit produces a maximum of about 4-5psi boost and is designed to work with the standard injectors, computer, fuel pump etc. In theory you should just be able to bolt it on and start driving around OK....

I am sure I read somewhere that these boost power by around 30-40%... from the factory 55kw to around 75kW ??? If you need more power that this you need the stage-II kit that includes bigger injectors, intercooler, bigger fuel pump etc.

It's not too extreme so I am guessing it would probably use fuel at a rate similar to a 2 litre motor if you are "boosting" around all the time ??.

When you fit this kit the turbo requires an oil feed from the motor... Apparently there is a convenient plug on the block you can replace with a connector for the oil input line but you need to make a fitting in the sump to attach the oil return line.

These kits brand new retail for around A$3000 without postage from www.perfectrun.com.au (quote was received about 12months ago)

There was a japanese website around I last looked at about a year ago with detailed pictures of how the guy installed it in his car... I will try and track this down again.

Please let me know if you can get hold of one of these for a good price... I would certainly be interested... ;)

CMF_Tseq

» CMF Member
Hey lewis i've just upgraded to cga3de and I wonder what mods can be done to increase the power.Have you found any turbo kit for that engine?What about ecu?

Back