TRying to get my head around multi flash pictures - and a Karman Ghia!

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
Hi All

Trying to sort out using more than 1 flash for car shots, what you think?
p148505095-6.jpg

Looks flipping good to me, I think it works! Try and give Arnold a hit up, he likes his photography, I'm sure he'll be able to give you much more constructive advice lol

Looks very good daren, is there a hint of HDR in there ;)? I'm sure I've asked you before but what camera you got? I've got a D5100 which I enjoy, just wish lenses were a bit cheaper :confused:.

(Nikki - are you coming to Japfest in may? I think it's your neck of the woods?)

Cheers guys. No HDR just using 2 flashes and underexposing the background, then pushing the saturation a bit in Lightroom.
Ok guy here is the kit list!
Nikon D700 and D300, nikon 70-200 vrII 2.8, nikon 28-70mm 2.8 (absolute monster), nikon 85mm 1.8 (i want a 1.4), Nikon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 90mm macro.
Flashes: sb800, sb600 and sb28.
My latest aquisition is 3 pocket wizard wireless triggers, and far too much studio stuff to list!!
Most of this was purchased second hand so the prices were not so hard to swallow.

Nice picture, maybe a little lack of contrast and a bit dull, but very good overall.

Imho, flashes are a real pain to work with, I avoid them every times I can, moreover on cars, causing distracting reflects on bodywork. If you want warm colors, try to take pictures without flash at the very beginning of dawn, when it's hardly visible to the naked eye, and then go for post processing with Lightroom, results are pretty good, colors vivid and no reflects or flash to work with.

Few examples I made without flash:
300297_2324105776694_1071097054_2653175_545504593_n.jpg

scaled.php

Cheers Seb, I find people easier to do than cars!

I find cars a lot easier lol. nice pic though! I don't really like flashes either and prefer to do most of my shots outdoors with natural light. I invested in a single flash gun with reflectors and options but it's still a pain to work with sometimes

Cheers Arnold, Indoor work is easier - the light satys the same. But its a new learning curve and enjoying it.

Cheers Arnold, Indoor work is easier - the light satys the same. But its a new learning curve and enjoying it.

What do you do about weird lighting though? For example the Birmingham NEC uses these weird orange glowing bulbs, so at Autosport, they have a weird glow in the all the photos, like this for example

398546_282561605133529_172143869508637_806026_596017374_n.jpg

The only thing I can do with stuff like that is either gel the flash (if using one) to counter it or make sure its shot in raw and adjust the white balance and then tweak the colour temperature in lightroom.

Back