• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My 2nd Car Run Around

Hi Folks

Hope you all had a good Christmas & new Year. :laugh:

About 3 weeks ago i decided to get a run around for the dog, nippin back & to to work & around town etc as all these small journeys are knackering the scooby with being on full choke etc & not having a clear out.

Any how a garage i know had 2 cheap micras, i thought what the hell & had the blue one (seemed the best buy) so he put me 12mth MOT on it its taxed until 1st april, 59k on the clock & is a 1Litre 16v 'Hollywood' it even has a sunroof!

Old guy had it previous for 9 years & the garage had always serviced it. It just needed a really good cleaning up inside & out, i serviced it anyhow oil, oil filter, fuel filter & ngk plugs, cleaned the whole engine bay & dressed it, put 2 new front tyres on, debadged it apart from the 16v on the side. Really happy with it, despite how i thought about the micra, its actually a cracking little motor, really happy with it & its saving me a fortune on fuel! even the wife quite likes running about in it rather than her clio, but that could be because she aint putting fuel in it :suspect:
mm.jpg

treated it to a interior de-grease, vaxing & re dress the plastics etc, new front speakers & bluetooth head unit, flashing alarm light & blue led's in the centre air vents to add a bit of light at night.
Outside was, cleaned, clay'd, machine polished using a 3 step process of my meguiars range of polish's, then sealed then waxed.
tyres had autosmart hi-style applied & bumpers/plastic trim, door rubbers had raceglaze rubber renew stuff on them.

whatis best way to tackle the wheels? should i get new wheel trims as they are all knackered or ger some graphite grey wheel spray & have just the steelies?

* update *
just got hold of some fk automotive springs brand new for £53 delivered (Y), 35mm front drop & 40mm rear drop. Only bought them as thats a bargain, but also i notice when the wind is up the car is all over the place so thought best stiffen the old girl up a bit! might get the fk automotive struts as well (suspension not braces) in the future, just see what the ride is like on the old struts first

Looks mint, good luck with it (Y)

If you want to lower it, get Frank's bushes or a adjustable panhard rod, or you'd have a funny car, though

Frank's wonders:

panhardrodbushes.jpg

p1090393.jpg

p1090394.jpg

or Noddie's masterpiece:

IMAG0006.jpg

And here is why you need it:
Panhard rod suspension

Here's a simple illustration to demonstrate the problem with the rear suspension set up that micras have. To prevent the axle being offset too far as in the second picture when the car is lowered, you should get an adjustable length panhard link.

panhard-uncompressed.gif
Panhard link (blue) when suspension is fully uncompressed and standard

panhard-compressed.gif
Panhard link (blue) when suspension is either compressed or (lowered and uncompressed)

As you can see, in the second picture, if you simply put shorted springs in your car without shortening the length of the panhard link, your rear axle offset becomes too great, and the left wheel becomes further in under the guard while the right wheel protrudes further out past the guard.
An adjustable panhard link will enable the axle to have a decent starting offset even while the car is lowered. There's nothing you can do about the axle offset increasing as the suspension is compressed ie when hitting a bump, however if you set the offset up correctly when uncompressed, its not an issue as it doesn't change enough to worry about when hitting bumps etc.
Additionally, from my discussions with Whiteline Automotive after overhauling my suspension, they told me that lowering without an adjustable panhard rod also had a terrible effect on the rear axle toe. This makes perfect sense, as its a multi-link design, when the axle offset changes, so does the rear axle toe. Basically one wheel's toe was almost straight while the other had massive toe-out (terrible for handling and tyre wear).

Nice one thanks for the Helpfull info, do I need to do a search to get hold of the white bushes? Or can you tell me/point me in the right direction?
Also do I only need bushes OR adjustable rod or do I need both bushes an the adjustable rod?
Thanks again, appreciate it

Nice one thanks for the Helpfull info, do I need to do a search to get hold of the white bushes? Or can you tell me/point me in the right direction?
Also do I only need bushes OR adjustable rod or do I need both bushes an the adjustable rod?
Thanks again, appreciate it

You choose which option is the best for you price wise.
Adjustable rod is to choose if you're going low-low-low.
With the springs that you have now, Frankspeed bushes as I called them would be fine. And it's easy to fit. Just make sure you fit the bushes as it's on the picture

p1090393.jpg

I have that set up on my car now.

Good luck

Nice one, thanks for the info, I am ordering the bushes tomorrow & have asked frank what else he does or can offer to get the best from it. So I might be getting the manifold from him next (Y) an go from there.

Nice one, thanks for the info, I am ordering the bushes tomorrow & have asked frank what else he does or can offer to get the best from it. So I will be getting the manifold from him next (Y) an go from there.

No prob, any time (Y)

updates

*took delivery of franks bush's for the rear p/rod - cheers Frank (Y) & peposhi for pointing me in the right direction!
*springs are out for delivery today (friday) got from FK Automotive Germany to me in 2 days so not bad for £10 delivery!
*rec'd new '16 valve' side decals - as only got one on one side
*took delivery of a new rocker gasket (only renewing as im taking the cover off to clean & spray)
*some new allen key head s/steel bolts to replace the rocker cover old fixings.
*got some silver engine enamel spray for the rocker & heat shield
*got some blue silicone hose for the washer jet lines
*got a replacement door interior light switch so i can wire it in for the passenger side door.
*got a led light for the boot with its own on off switch as could not be bothered to fit an auto switch in the boot lol!

* also got meself some new ngk plugs for the scooby aswell :blush:

hope to remember to get some before & after pics of the lowering :laugh: 35mm front & 40mm rear drop is stated (or it could mean drop is 35-40mm !?)

Ok update time after a long day!

Rocker off
4f624d4c.jpg

Sprayed up
d994ef47.jpg

Re fitted
d567b6ea.jpg

Springs fitted
b5081ef9.jpg

Frank bushes fitted on panhard rod(Y)
c0b07157.jpg

Front

adcf312d.jpg

Next was light dimdip mod that was advised to me as the I did not know why I had a weird yellow background colour to my new led side lights

f0528509.jpg

36d573b6.jpg

Also did new replacement original 16 valve side decals

Had real trouble getting the old bush off the threaded bar bit that franks bush goes on, took some persuading to come off, but got there in the end.

Over all after a quick drive round, it feels so much more planted and newer to drive, still comfy an no banging around, really happy!

Cheers guys, just never had a car thats been a real pain to change the rear springs, basically never had a car with a panhard rod thing an that bush removal took ages grr, but it's been worth it. Not a bad days job freezing me backside off :laugh:

Update, running great and bought 4 new anti roll bar links and fitted them as I know they wear, so thought b*lls to it and just got them to replace.

Got hold of a brand new exedy clutch kit, I was only one to bid and got it for £20 plus £10 post, so bargain I thought. Get me mate help me fit it sometime and get some new gearbox oil in there.

Also bought new centre pipe and back box so got those to fit at weekend sometime.

Fitted a cheap beat Bluetooth head unit to work with iPhone and also fitted some mac audio 6x9's on back shelf, covered with grey speaker cloth so you can't see they are there. Also wired in an amp under the passenger seat I had spare in the garage.

Just enjoying the old girl as a handy run around, great little motor

Hi everyone, not been on for a while, this being a dad is a real time taker!!! Love it though.
Anyhow bit more of an update

Fitted the drop links and all is good. Had a look on ebay and thought i would get an induction kit for a laugh and see what its like, not expecting much for £35!

Fitted new wheel trims

also ordered some silvertec front chrome looking signals to de tango the headlights and also ordered some clear side repeaters!

Car still runs great and since buying one, 3 mates have got them in their families as they were so impressed with mine!

Will post a pic of intake when fitted and ive given the old girl a clean up.

Cheers prefaceliftlife, yes getting there! Not sure really what else to do without going 'overboard' as my main amount of spare cash goes on the scooby and want to keep the micra quite smooth looking and not stand out. Subtle and looked after is what i like!
As for clean, yes i am abit ocd with that when i get chance as i do have all the professional polishing/cleaning materials and polishing machine etc so it helps to make a 15/16 year old car look its best!

Well managed to get some time spare an fitted the induction kit, have to say its a bargain an has a nice roar on full boot!
55a5ece4.jpg

Also fiited clear side repeaters and the silvertec bulbs in the headlights so no more oringiness in there! Forgot to take a pic though!

Back