tropical Micra problems

I'm the Kampala resident with the dodgy Micra......

It's absolutely guzzling fuel (34mpg if driven like a granny) and has a sky high tickover. I've checked all the usual stuff (plugs, air filter etc) and have even removed the autochoke (not really needed over here, anyway) all to no avail.

My Micra is a 1L circa 1991 model, 4 speed, with all that electronic gubbins under the passenger seat. My problem is there's nowhere over here I can take it to get plugged in to see if it's just running very rich due to an electronics fault. So, is it possible to just fit a carb from an older model and do away with the electronic stuff? If so, has anyone got a spare?!

Thanks,

Rich

Hey Rich,

1. may be the throttle cable adjustment had moved and is too tight (does it pull while driving on idle as if the throttle was slightly pressed?)...try to slacken the cable adjuster nuts after it had warmed and then remove the outer cable from teh clamp on th acarb alltogether to check this

2. may be the choke flap is sticking closed or part-closed ..(even though you have removed the unwinder)....take off the air filter cover after it has warmed and with a clean instrument check to see if the choke flap on the primary venturi at the top can move "further towards vertical"

3. may be your distributer locknut has come loose and the distributer had moved into the very far-advanced range

...a few things to check easily yourself

hope this helps,

Rich (I'm Richard too :) )

Hey Rich,

1. may be the throttle cable adjustment had moved and is too tight (does it pull while driving on idle as if the throttle was slightly pressed?)...try to slacken the cable adjuster nuts after it had warmed and then remove the outer cable from teh clamp on th acarb alltogether to check this

2. may be the choke flap is sticking closed or part-closed ..(even though you have removed the unwinder)....take off the air filter cover after it has warmed and with a clean instrument check to see if the choke flap on the primary venturi at the top can move "further towards vertical"

3. may be your distributer locknut has come loose and the distributer had moved into the very far-advanced range

...a few things to check easily yourself

hope this helps,

Thanks for the reply.

The choke has been wire locked in the open position and the throttle cable is slack. I'll have a look at the distributor but would that cause the fuel consumption problem?

What do you think to replacing the carb with an older type?

Thanks,

Rich

u cud try cleaning the carburettor with some cleaning spray. I done it and the car idled much lower than before. This on its own wont fix the problem but it will help.

Back