ignition barrel/switch problems

I

ian1820

hi there just new to this so bear with it pls!

i have been having problems with starting my micra, i have (eventually!!) traced the fault to the ignition switch at the bottom of the ignition barrel, the switch was not staying on and the car was cutting out after it had started i could keep it running by holding the switch in position! i eventually had to hold the white/black wire (from the battery) onto the white/green wire to get home after breaking down in the middle of nowhere. the next day when i went to fix the problem there is no power from the white/black wire and all fuses and fuseable links are ok! what have i done? i am going to buy a new switch but it wont do me any good if i dont have any power to it! all the lights etc work so the battery etc seem ok

any help greatly received!!!

thanks

thanks,
does the barrel and switch come as a unit?

yes, but!!! If you are planning on keeping the barrel in case of any problem, its held in with a screw, dont do what I did and and break it in two.

What do you mean by the switch?

i was under the impression the switch was at the bottom of the barrel and if i was to replace the switch i could keep the same barrel and therefore keep the same key?

lol, changing the barrel wint effect your key mate, simply unscrew the old one, and in with the new one, hopefully a running engine...

mine was the same, it would turn over but then instantly cut out, chaning the barrel did sort the problem fine.

Should this not be in K11, says you drive one so I guying its for that car right?

ok thanks very much for your help,
all i need now is to find out why there is no power from the white/black wire to the ignition anymore!

cheers!

ok thanks very much for your help,
all i need now is to find out why there is no power from the white/black wire to the ignition anymore!

cheers!

kk, well the B/W goes to your fusible link box (manual), i'd look their for the problem, Good luck with sorting the problem.

Cheers, Darren.

Yeah you can definitly keep your existing key, just unscrew the bit on the otherside where the wires go in and take it out.

Ive had a few ignition problems in the past, one of them was the wires on the switch you are referring to kept coming loose. Make sure the screw which holds it in is secure. Simple as that, problem fixed.

so you guys are saying any k10 key will turn any k10 ignition barrel which i would be worried about if it was true

Alot of keys fit different K10's! I came back to Ed's once from a trip to Mcdonalds with James, to see he'd opened my super s with his one. Ems can open her dads K10, they're all very similar. Any key will fit any k10 glovebox aswell.

the switch has been fitted but my problem remains there is still no power at the white/black wire all fuses and links seem ok surely the fuse should have went before the wire was damaged?

check for continuity between the battery and the switch, if no continuity then you have either got blown fuse or wire problem

havent you got a k11? if so whys this in the k10 section?

the ignition switch can be removed from the ignition barrel on most cars, the security bit your talking about is called the ignition barrel

Back