Towing Limit

Anyone know what the maximum towing limit on a K10 is? Looked in Haynes, not there, tells me to look in owners manual, not in there either, tells me to check VIN plate. Done that and there are two different numbers, 1120kg and 1670kg. Any idea which number means what? Thanks.

I would not tow anything more than about 500Kg. I have a fair bit of experience towing with a K10, and you will have problems if you tow more than this. In anycase you should not tow more than the weight of the car, and I think there are rules that prevent this. Search for towing, there is a fair bit on the site now.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I searched the MSC but couldn't find anything on towing. I did find this site http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/preparing/preparing.htm which talks about the maximum towing limit being on the VIN plate.

I've pulled a few trailers with my K10 (in it's younger days!) but what I'm really after knowing is basically, can a micra tow a micra? I've pulled a Micra to rescue it from a breakdown (about half a mile) a few times but was wondering if its possible (or rather legal) to tow another micra say 50 miles? Or does it always require a bigger beast of a car to collect one?

im sure a k10 could tow another but it wouldnt be good for the engine and drivetrain, get a bigger car if you can ;)

Thats how you got yours Speedle!! I was in it while it was towed!

Anyway - if you can get a tralier and a bigger car then it may be safe mate :)

my mates cinquecento sporting pulled my k10 and five people for 50 miles lol. crusing at 80 mph most of the way lol

I think you are only allowed to tow another vehicle if it is causing an obstruction or danger to other road users. I know someone who tried towing a K10 with a heavier and more powerful (just) Fiesta about 10 miles, and they said it was one of the most horrific experiences of their lives.

Towing a K10 with another K10 is fine on the flat but forget it if you want to go uphill anywhere. Think Batch is on the right lines, traditionally the only reason for owning a diesel! :)

i towed a k10 with my k11 1.3 for a while, no problems what so ever,

i'd get a towing dolly, probably the best way :)

Back