K10 Motorway safety!

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I've just bought a Micra K10 LS, passed my test a couple of weeks ago. I havent taken it on the motorway yet but have got it up to 55-60 on main roads and the steering feels rather light and twitchy at that speed (although its a different story when parking!)

My Micra-owning mate tells me that its normal and you just have to hang on, but I'm wondering if there are any simple modifications that can be done to improve its handling, and make it feel safer at speed? Or is it just that I am used to driving newer bigger cars?!

The Micra is in good condition, has just passed its MOT and has two new rear shocks, new brakes, clutch, and was checked by a mechanic before buying.

You could lower it, give it a slightly firmer ride, and fit slightly wider tyres to give it more grip. Apart from that, they're going to slide around a bit, especially with strong wind!

k10's arnt really motorway cars TBH and ive been battered about in mine in the wind but rimmers suggestions are very good ones some wider alloys and lowering will help keep the car on the black stuff, just stick to the speed limit and you'll be fine, im sure once youve got used to your car in a few months it will seem alot safer :)

my k11 feels safe as anything at 115mph and thats not a big car... like arnold said wider tyres are helpful i found

rlees85 said:
my k11 feels safe as anything at 115mph and thats not a big car... like arnold said wider tyres are helpful i found

aint 115mph illegal in this country ??? :suspect:

or did you go to germany to try that one ;) lol

yes please enlighten us on that one???

K10's do get thrown about at motorway speeds, its not as bad as the old sunny's used to be believe me. You'll just have to get used to it really, confidence is a wonderful thing when your in a K10, they understeer like mad on corners too but if your used to it you can usuall control it.

Just don't do what I once did and jump from a standard K10 to a modified K11, you'll end up loosing the back end a few times in perfectly innocent circumstances.

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping confidence will come, and I'll look out for some wider tyres. What do you have to do to lower it, and is it expensive? (I'm not a mechanic!)

Re the Sunny - had been thinking of trading the K10 in for one of those if I couldnt get used to motorways, but maybe I won't now! Are the newer ones (post-91?) just as bad? Am wondering if all small cars are the same? Drove a new Toyota Yaris and it was just as skittish as the Micra! (My mum recommended a Peugeot 205, but I spose thats heresy on this board!!)

I find not having power steering actually makes you feel more incontrol with the car. You can feel and handle every bump and gust of wind! They're fine on motorways, myself and ems do miles in ours every weekend on several of them.

Lowering springs are whats needed to lower the car. Theyre just a replacement for the stock springs. You can get some from demon tweeks, and you even qualify for the club discount being an official member.

There's a number you need to call, - see this thread http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1679&highlight=demon+discount

205's are fantastic, they are low down, french so they are comfortable, but they still are a bit skitish on motorways (i've got one btw), if your after something more planted you'll have to look at increasing the weight, such as a nice volvo or saab :p

Yes the post 91 sunny's are a bit chunkier and should be better for cross winds etc.

Hmmm, a Saab would be good. And old ones are as cheap as chips! Astronomical insurance though (even at my advanced age..) and I bet the visibility isnt as good as a K10!

Back