tinkering again

superls

K10 Tuner
been doing a bit of tinkering with a throttle body.

i managed to grab one from a 1 liter today from scrapyard, fingers crossed there the same as the 1.3.

anyway after completely stripping it down and taking a few measurements i decided to 'chuck' the TB, no not in the bin in the lathe lol

12122010229.jpg

12122010230.jpg

heres a random inside pic

12122010231.jpg

and this is the diameter of the chamber a puny 45mm

12122010232.jpg

let the boring commence

12122010233.jpg

stage 1
12122010234.jpg

stage 2

12122010237.jpg

did he stop there? no he didnt, after several passes

12122010238.jpg

i personally dont think it can be opened up much more, things are starting to get a little 'close'

pic of the old butterfly in the new hole

12122010240.jpg

the question remains should i make a new butterfly or just cope with a real high tickover??? lol

anyway then machined the throttle shaft a bit

12122010241.jpg

12122010242.jpg

12122010243.jpg

12122010244.jpg

fingers crossed it will mame some good gains???

a quick question whats the diameter of the ga16 TB???

cheers all

cheers frank, is the only benifit to a ga TB the larger bore? i would imagine it is but just checking.

yes mate, baguete had problems re-mapping the maf values of the GA one tho and gave up (then his mate bored out a CG one like yours and made a circular butterfly that kept sticking iirc :eek: (they need to be oval eh)

yes there ever so slightly oval, and the edges are tapered too

Should be fine if you're using on from another thottle body.

Little tip, for another gain taper the throttle body out to the inlet and to the outlet. This will help speed up the flow of the air.

Sorted some form of manifold yet?

Edit: Very nice work in the lathe, looking good.

Id be tempted to find a bigger butterfly than trying to make one, unless youve got the spare metal about :) (mgf for example has a 52mm opening)...wouldnt mind knowing if a larger tb would make any difference on mine...one of those things ive never tested, though the cars probably already getting all the air it can use. :S

ill attempt to make a 52mm butterfly first, but failing that ill check other cars see if i can pinch one.

the throttle body can be modified to say 50mm and then use the GA butterfly

here,s the different butterfly,s eh, and the GA maf and also the CG and GA t/p/s

attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC11647.JPG
    SDC11647.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 619
Yes, i had one CG T/B bored to 50mm, but is a friend that has it on his SuperS. One problem that he had was the butterfly, is leaking and have a high idle (not oval shape), and other problem is that he cant go full throttle at low revs, the car becomes sluggish, but at high rpm's there is a noticeable gain. Dont know if a remap would solve that problem... fwn

the cg butterfly is about 0.5mm oval, but if you measure it at an angel, the angle ov the bevveled edges it 45mm, so im sure ill be able to sort something out

I've been planning on doing something almost exactly like this only without boring it out as I don't have all the machine tools. I even started doing a CFD analysis on it at university. Didn't get it finished before christmas hols though. When I do I'll let you know what the improvement in pressure drop is. Are you going to put countersunk screws in it as well? My guess is that would cut down on turbulence alot.

Back