GA15 Throttle Body Install

CMF_sodaniel

» CMF Member
GA15 Throttle Body Install

Did some research in the forum about putting in the GA15 Throttle body and thought it was worth a shot to complete my intake set-up.

Ordered that part from Pulsar Parts in SA, was $175 ex delivery, +$30 for delivery to Sydney Metro area.

It’s fairly simple to take out your current throttle body, you will need to take out the bolts that secure it onto the intake manifold, undo your throttle cable and unplug the hoses connected to the throttle body.

Here is a comparison of the two bodies:

tbcomparison.jpg

As you can see the standard CG13 valve is 45mm and the GA15 one is 50mm, so an increase of more than 10% over stock.

intakemani.jpg

The bare intake manifold

coolant.jpg

However, you will need to make a bypass line for your coolant to go through, as they do not seem to fit the standard plug holes on the GA15 body like the CG13. I used a small metal pipe I recycled from the climate controls I took out.

tb.jpg

Installed. The top of the throttle body is the same diameter as stock so you can still use the existing airbox (which is really restrictive if you will change to the GA15 TB), or re-use your current setup whatever that may be.

Impressions: Well I am also using a custom setup with a pod filter and cold air feed. Upon initial impression on the highway, it is definitely beefier in the mid-range, it’s a bit hesitant to rev in the top end (probably from the injectors… another thread). The needle certainly rises from 120-130km/h in 5th a lot faster than it did before.

In my personal opinion, on a stock Micra, you are probably better off changing your airbox and making a pod filter set up, rather than spending 200 odd on the throttle body. I recommend this modification to those who want to squeeze the most out of their intake and likely to do a bit of engine work + tune.

Anyone else want to share a bit?

Cheers!
Daniel

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I was actually able to get the coolant/warmant lines to fit on mine...Had to push tho... when i changed both over (TB & injectors with jaycar fuel adjuster) my 5-100kph dropped from 11.3 to 10.4sec.... For me it is an interim step on my turbo setup...

yeah, bypass hoses fit with some grunting.

p.s i'd be going something a bit better then a safc to tune it, gtrholic on this forum had a similar setup to yours but running a e-manage, definately worth it, you can add a fair bit more timing into the maps with the emanage and squeeze a few more ponies+ drivability to. you also have the option to control extra injectors/injectors, swap afms, were as with the safc your only controlling your airflow meter, and not the injectors. standard injectors should be fine for your setup, but you need to get into the maps, because it WILL be running lean at the moment.

CMF_sodaniel

» CMF Member
Hey alessandro, I'm not sure what NATS is to be honest... Spoon cover is because I'm a ricer haha, nah the brake fluid gets messy so you need something to soak it up.

Turbomarch - cheers for your recommendations mate. I'll ask my tuner about it, regardless I will probably get the GA15 injectors now. The AFC neo was presented to me at only $320 which was the reason I decided to buy it... I'll give it a shot since it's there. Thanks mate.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
For those who don't live in Europe, I recall NATS being something like Nissan Anti Thieft System.
As you might imagine, this apparently causes problems with modding & engine swaps.

I'm not sure if the Aussie K11's ever got it, I think importation ceased before it's introduction. I've never seen a Japanese model with it.

CMF_Alessandro

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"For those who don't live in Europe, I recall NATS being something like Nissan Anti Thieft System.

As you might imagine, this apparently causes problems with modding & engine swaps.

I'm not sure if the Aussie K11's ever got it, I think importation ceased before it's introduction. I've never seen a Japanese model with it.

Yes!
It causes problems with modding,engine swaps,ecu mapping...
It causes problem with all!!!

CMF_sodaniel

» CMF Member
Ok question for all the GA15 TB guys out there...

I understand that after installing this TB, the idle becomes higher because the coolant-bypass which is not heating up the TB like before. What did your car idle at when you first did this mod? Did it settle after or did you have to adjust it?

My car was doing anywhere between 1400-1500rpm then with some tinkering of the throttle cable its now at 1100-1200rpm.. As you can see from the pics above my throttle cable is bodged up. After I did a test run on the highway with it, with some fanging, it sat at the lights at 2000rpm... I'm sure my throttle cable is F***ed, hopefully I'll be able to replace it with the universal one.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I transferred the throttle hanger over from the cg13 to the ga15 (fits a trest, amazingly) and idle was 1500+, there is an idle screw at the rear left of tb.... use a suitable hex to adjust down.... mine sits at about 900rpm....

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Is the idle control valve swappable between the two throttle bodies?

It's the bit with the electrical plug on the rocker cover side of the throttle body.

I guess the idle control valve has bigger porting for the larger 1.5L motor, hence your 1.3L motor revs higher at idle. It probably can't restrict the air flow enough.

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Its pretty basic mate. You use a allen key head to remove the screws. Shove the Ga15 in place. Connect the plugs up + tighten the bolts down again and connect the coolant line back up (I would just leave it off and route it back to the hosing but cause you live in the UK maybe best to leave it in hot water and then shove it on.

Easy as! Really basic!!

CMF_Ognyan

» CMF Member
Couple more things and sorry if its slightly straying away from the original subject, but which GA15s have the desired throttle body?GA15S ; GA15DS ; GA15E ; GA15DE and what cars are fitted with these engines? =}

CMF_hdal

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help regarding the ga15 throttle body install. Apparently there is a bolt that is in the way of getting the ga15 throttle installed. My mechanic was putting it on for me and came back with that news.. Any ideas of how to get around it?

Thanks

Back