Timing question

Hi all,
In the process of giving the car a good service,I noticed the timing is off by about 15 degrees.To set it correctly should the engine be cold or hot and should it be set on zero?The car seems to be driving ok so should I leave it be?Thanks in advance for any comments.
Ronnie.

this is your ignition timing not the cam timing i would leave it as it is.doesent make much different hot or cold.hope this helps.

Thanks for that ,lads,it is ignition timing. Will reset it to 5 degrees when hot.The only noticable thing happening at the present setting is the idle is too fast.

Not enough information dude to give you the right setting. We need to know what engine size and induction setting it is, also the year of manufacture. There are half a douzen setting for different engines. 1L or 1.2L? 4speed, 5speed or auto? Carb with manual choke, carb with auto choke, or ecc catalyst model? There is no magic number that suits all engines.
1.2 5speed with no cat and auto-choke is 0 degrees (TDC), the automatic is 2'ATDC. The 1.2L 5speed ecc cat model is 4'ATDC etc etc... put up some more info dude. But to be perfectly honest if the car is running right then i would leave it as it because it's already correct. Only if it's sucking fuel down heavily or knocking on accelaration is it not set right. (and that's assuming that everything else is in perfect working order and has been regularly serviced, e.g. k10's loose power and become very thirsty when the air-filters get dirty. So you can easily mistake one cause for another).

Its a bog standard 1 litre K10 5 speed manual with automatic choke 1991. Have reset it to 5 degrees which seems to have settled the idle and no adverse effect on running,will watch to see if fuel usage is affected.Thanks for your help.

For 1.0L 5-speed (ma10s) 1990 onwards;

4 degrees BTDC (+/- 1 degree) with vaccum line disconnected and plugged up.

11 degrees BTDC (+/- 5 degrees) with vaccum line connected.

Back