timing question

Hi guys,

You may have recently read that my car is heavy on fuel. I (or my cousin) had a look at the timing and adjusted it as per haynes manual. It seems better, it pulls better, and idles higher. But it's still heavy on fuel. Does timing affect fuel consumption as such?

Also the haynes manual is not so accurate. There are additional marks on the pulley compared to what haynes says. The timing was bang in the middle before adjustment, the pin has moved anticlockwise one more notch.

I know wear and tear will require timings to be different for each car, but it doesn't seem right with the still heavy fuel consumption. Also haynes says to tak out the throttle pot connector, why is that? And does it make a difference when setting the timing... it could now be wrong?

Can an expert talk me through please? It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

deian

the pulley marks should be (left to right) 5 atd, 0, 5btd, 10 btd etc and i think the ecu sets the timing to whatever the conditions are, so disconnecting the tps probably overides it
it sounds like you,ve advanced it 7.5deg, which will make it pull better and tickover faster

Back