timing chains, anyone known of no genuine availability

CMF_mattie

» CMF Member
my micra has 97000km and i thought i might look at doing the timing chain , i have been priced $500.00 for two chains 2 guides & 2 tentioners.surely genuine can't be the only source, i mean quite frankly that is rubbish.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
There's actually a whole timing chain replacement kit available from nissan. It was released to address the premature wear issues the CG's original timing chains suffered.

THe UK boys let me know what the part number was, I think it was A3028-5F611. It included the whole kit of parts you would need to stick it all back together with a fresh new set of chain and tensioners. The pack is designed to save you money in buying all the pieces seperately.

It contains:
Both chains
Upper tensioner (spring tensioned when the engine is at rest and hydraulic when running).
O rings for the front cover.
U gaskets for the sump.
Liquid gasket to seal everything up.
It doesn't contain the lower tensioner or front crank seal.

Before you go buying anything though, I suggest you have a look and a read of the articles here: http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/nissan-timing-chain-procedure.php

You may not have to change anything yet. Oh yeh, $500 for the 2 chains and tensioners is far from "rubbish" its actually quite a good price. I think you'd be hard pressed to find timing chains and tensioners cheaper anywhere else. You have to remember that this isnt a rubber belt we're talking about here.

Cheers

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
just recently got both chains for ~$180.00, so chain tensioner and gaskets for the extra money seems step to me? and are the tensioners recomended (since you'd buy the gaskets anyhow)?

Attachments

• 17588.jpg
    17588.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 36

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
oh, also i had my chains replaced at about 80000 and the odometer is now at 252000 and no noise from the chains(amazing!) (but will change them when the new head goes on, since I'm there)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The gaskets are recommended... Especially on an older motor as the rubber deteriorates over time.

THe bottom tensioner is spring operated and shouldnt need changing, the top one is spring operated when the engine isnt running and hydraulic operated (oil pressure) when running.

So thicker oil does very little for a noisey timing chain.

Attachments

• 17595.jpg
    17595.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 26

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
fred, how much was the timing chain and how much was the labor from that ~$180? Im hitting 200,000 within the next month and im looking to buy the timing chain kit from a auto shop (Odins ftw!) and ive got a mechanic mate that'll install it for next to nothing and a cheesecake (he loves cakes. :))

Im guessing if i buy a 'better' quality chain it'll not make as much noise? Or last a little longer?

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Thanks guys!

Almost exactly what the guys at Odins said. However, $200 for top + bottom chains they said. Cheap as chips!

And yeh, i think ill be getting new low km engine prices that huge expensive jobs. 200K is pushing it as an old engine.
Thx again!

Back