Code Readers & Timing Chains & Resets!

Hey guys

The wife's Nissan Micra decided to have a wobbly after 6 years (virtually to the day) and 80k on the clock. Took it to the Kettering dealer, £50 later and the usual sharp intake of breath, the timing chain was stretched and required replacing.

Well they wanted over a grand to sort it. I told them to bite me. And went on the hunt for an independent.

Anyway, cut a long story short, the independent's final service order looked like this:

Crank Seal
Cam Chain
Tensioner
Rocker Cover Gasket
Chain Guide
Chain Guide
Gasket Sealant
Oil
8hrs Labour

And it cost us £815. Thank you very much Mr Mechanic, off the wife trots, happy to have her beloved four wheel bubble back.

Anyway, story doesn't end there! First start of the engine and low and behold the engine management light is still on and ENGINE CHECK WARNING - CONTACT NISSAN DEALER is still displaing on the LCD. Bad times.

On the plus side, having all the work done, the car feels smoother then a baby's bum.

So, it left me wondering one of two things - or maybe both:

a) the mechanic just didn't have the necessaries to clear the fault
b) that sorted one fault, here's another...

I'm obviously praying its a). So after a bit of Googling, I found you guys, and lots of comments about using code readers to read the codes and also clear the faults.

One thing led to another and I find myself on eBay looking for Nissan Fault Code Readers.

Hundreds turned up.

So after all this babbling, my question is actually quite a simple one! What do I require, what type of reader for example, to clear the fault (and be able to read future ones)? Because I'll be damned if I'm taking it back to Nissan and handing over another fifty for five minutes work.

This is one that I've seen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD-2-II-EOBD...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308|301:1|293:1|294:50

Thank you kindly for your time folks, your help will be muchly appreciated. (Y)

where abouts are you mate there maybe someone local who will clear the faults for you for a few quid
other than that i can find a link to the one i got if you would like

Hi mate, thanks for the prompt reply. I'm located in Northampton ;) TBH I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one for future problems.

Back