timing chain

my s plate micra 1.3 needs new timing chain does anyone out there have any idea how much i will be looking to pay and how long it takes as i have been told by one garage 10 hours which seems a hell of a lot.

cheers
knoxy9290

ditto my sreg micra also sounds asif the timing chain is loose and will need doing ive been looking at kits on ebay they start anything from £100

mines only done 70k miles aswell :(

10hrs is about right :eek:, its an engine out, sump off job, tho the top chain usually lasts 100k+ , and the bottom one longer still.
i would measure the extent of the tensioner before condemning the chains :)

i reused the top chain of a 100k engine on my 140k engine and its almost silent. although it did take me 4 days to fit.

10hours is a little on the high side, was that a standard garage quoting or a Nissan dealership? A lot of places over estimate, as they cannot always tell what will need replacing until they have stripped it down.

When Nissan did mine many moons ago they did it in about 6hours and that was for a complete replacement......but the guys at my local place have been there as long as I can remember and are a bit old skool lol ;)

i did my own work at a garage the top chain takes bout 1.30 ish but i had the head off mine too an did the bottom chain too

Back