Timing Chain Preventative Work - how much & how risky to leave?

Evening all .... been a while.

Gave the K11 a massive shake down and respray in the Summer and it's now buzzing in and out of London and earning good keep after a couple years on the drive in mothballs.

I didn't do the timing chain and in fact have lost track of when (if) it was ever done.

Car was dealership serviced until maybe 38k miles by original owner. Has now done maybe 69k miles I think and been nicely serviced, always had synthetic oil, filters etc.

Not sure when the TC would have been service replaced. Have a feeling it has not been .... well certainly since we have had it .... maybe 8 years ish.

Just to ask expert MSC folk ... when should it have been done please and what would I expect to pay for a decent replacement job but certainly not dealership prices

I don't fancy doing this one myself but if I did, is it a tough job and how much might the parts cost?

Appreciate any guidance as always. I know ordinarily it's a risk point but don't know how susceptible the Micras are to it. Cheers

Evening all .... been a while.

Gave the K11 a massive shake down and respray in the Summer and it's now buzzing in and out of London and earning good keep after a couple years on the drive in mothballs.

I didn't do the timing chain and in fact have lost track of when (if) it was ever done.

Car was dealership serviced until maybe 38k miles by original owner. Has now done maybe 69k miles I think and been nicely serviced, always had synthetic oil, filters etc.

Not sure when the TC would have been service replaced. Have a feeling it has not been .... well certainly since we have had it .... maybe 8 years ish.

Just to ask expert MSC folk ... when should it have been done please and what would I expect to pay for a decent replacement job but certainly not dealership prices

I don't fancy doing this one myself but if I did, is it a tough job and how much might the parts cost?

Appreciate any guidance as always. I know ordinarily it's a risk point but don't know how susceptible the Micras are to it. Cheers

Just to add, starts and runs like a dream .... did throttle body a few years back....no smoke and no real noticable rattle .... although a squeal on pull away which I think is fan belt? Power good, fuel economy good.

Only thing bad about this one.....if you mis-start it, it floods like a pig and needs plugs out, the whole 9 yards ....

leave it 5 seconds on key in,until the fuel pump clicks, then turn to ignition and don't drop the key and it starts perfectly every time.

the k11,s dont have any chain issues, and will get very noisy before letting go

Ahh that's really good to know Frank .... it's about the only thing I never did but there are no signs of bad news .... rest of car in incredible solid condition so I was a little worried to loose it on something daft like this.

Thanks for the heads up .... sleep easy tonight :)

k11s dont need the timming chains doing unless they begin to rattle you may be thinking of a timing belt or the k12 fault
most timming chains on them last the life of the car its somthing you dont need to worry, only time to worry is if it rattles really
you will find the k11 engine so long its serviced will be last along time ;)

k11s dont need the timming chains doing unless they begin to rattle you may be thinking of a timing belt or the k12 fault
most timming chains on them last the life of the car its somthing you dont need to worry, only time to worry is if it rattles really
you will find the k11 engine so long its serviced will be last along time ;)

Cheers Nissan boy .... reassuring stuff. Yeah it's pretty well serviced ... better than most I'd say. Any other risk points engine or gearbox wise on the 1.0 that I should be aware of or plan for? Did a fair shift of welding, bodywork and rustproofing this year so the chassis and panels are good for a few years now .... just want to avoid any big mechanicals .... thanks

my thing is for them 10/40 semi oil
dont always drive them like a granny i can be bad for engines and also cause problems with the car, so do take it just off the limiter on some roads near me
does it have a sun roof?
and what year and model is it ?

my thing is for them 10/40 semi oil
dont always drive them like a granny i can be bad for engines and also cause problems with the car, so do take it just off the limiter on some roads near me
does it have a sun roof?
and what year and model is it ?

Is a 95 1.0 nissanboy ... it was a model I've only seen the one of called a Limelight ...... it does have a sun roof yes and one of the press in button's went AWOL and never been able find one since. But works fine.

Driven by slightly lead foot daughter who lives edge of London so it's in and out all the while and does a motorway run up to Stafford a couple of times a month.

I did the throttle body repair off the Australian Micra site a couple years back and works great. Ironically I'm the only one who ever floods it ... everyone seems start it first time. Drives very balanced and brakes same.

Regular oil and filter changes will stop any chain/tensioner problems ....unless you continually rag the lady.
I change mine every 5K ....but then - I'm dopeyo_O

Hi Davyboy .... yeah would say good advice. This one been bounced about our family to anyone without a car, needing to lend a car etc etc .... the first owner looked after it by the numbers. Then a couple of temporary users who knocked it about badly body and interior wise but mechanically very well. Luckily engine wise it has been pampered in the main. Mind it's due a change now I'd say. So fingers crossed we good for another 10 years solid motoring.

Makes me laugh .... got family members who buy cars they can't afford saying they more reliable / safer blah blah .... and I'll tell you what, this one NEVER failed, even when abused, bashed into other cars, left for 2 years standing etc.....and all those ones that were bought and can't be afforded ....gearboxes, motorway break downs etc. In fact the one daughter who used this one was gifted a 307 Pug .... over the last two years it's cost her over 2.5k in running costs/repairs that STILL continue. Not a penny spent in the 2 years previous with the K11! Is worth a couple of oil changes a year and some filters.

Thanks Davyboy

Hi Davyboy .... yeah would say good advice. This one been bounced about our family to anyone without a car, needing to lend a car etc etc .... the first owner looked after it by the numbers. Then a couple of temporary users who knocked it about badly body and interior wise but mechanically very well. Luckily engine wise it has been pampered in the main. Mind it's due a change now I'd say. So fingers crossed we good for another 10 years solid motoring.

Makes me laugh .... got family members who buy cars they can't afford saying they more reliable / safer blah blah .... and I'll tell you what, this one NEVER failed, even when abused, bashed into other cars, left for 2 years standing etc.....and all those ones that were bought and can't be afforded ....gearboxes, motorway break downs etc. In fact the one daughter who used this one was gifted a 307 Pug .... over the last two years it's cost her over 2.5k in running costs/repairs that STILL continue. Not a penny spent in the 2 years previous with the K11! Is worth a couple of oil changes a year and some filters.

Thanks Davyboy
Same thing here buddy, offered one of my Micras to my granddaughter, turned it down as unfashionable.
A Fiat (laughs) and a Corsa (laughs) later - both huge problems for her, and the Micra keeps toodling along with no problems as usual.

Back