Throttle Potentiometer

A couple of months ago my 17 year old son purchased his first car - a 2003 Micra S. It has an FSH from the dealer with the last service being only 2k miles ago. As the car had been unused for a while I decided to get it check over and as well as a leaking shock absorber and worn brakes, there is a problem with the throttle potentiometer - this was causing the engine management light to illuminate, something that had only started yesterday.

The garage advised that it appears that someone has been trying to fix this previously (can see where apparent checks have been done around this and on area's that might cause it) and thinks that the previous owner has had the engine management light reset so that any purchaser (ie my son) wouldn't be aware of the problem. It's only come to light (literally) about 6 weeks after he purchased it.

I've been quoted £320 + vat + fitting to get this part done.

The garage advised that it's not something that is likely to shut down the car as if it was a serious problem it would go into 'limp' mode. So, is it something we can just put up with, does it need doing, and does this price seem reasonable. Any advice would be helpful - thanks.

your k12 is the "drive by wire" type, with a pedal sensor signaling the ecu, i would research more info on what faultcodes the garage had flagged up before buying/changing anything, that reset stuff does,nt ring true to me :suspect: (ie, if you erase the faultcodes without fixing the fault, the light will start flashing again)

Had a problem with the potentiometer on my 06 Micra and bought one second-hand for £35. They are quite easy to source online. If you go down the replacement route it's very easy to do it yourself. One electrical connector and 3 bolts to remove, 10 mm spanner, sure that's the right size, is all that's required.. Takes literally minutes and I'm not mechanically minded! Might be better to try this as opposed to over £400. If it works then fine, if not at least you've not spent a lot of money.

Back