Throttle problems

scandalpet

Ex. Club Member
Hi - I'm new to this club. I have a 1997 4 door 998cc manual thats done +100,000 miles and has had 8 owners !! Everthing works well - fuel consumption great +50 around the roads but the only issue is that at low speed on part steady throttle the car either slows (as if the throttle is being shut) or speeds up (as if it is being opened up). ^his makes it almost undriveable in traffic.

having read some of the threads could this be a throttle body or air mass problem ? and is there any way of telling apart from buying a replacement part.

Any help gratefully received.:(

hi mate i reckon throttle body, a known problem area on k11, and yes they are superb cars only had mine for 3 weeks! reminds me of original mini !!!!

I have the same problem when im driving on petrol.
Either you have to accelerate, or motor braking, if you try in between it jumps like crazy :)
When im driving on lpg (which is pure mechanical) i have no problems.

I found out that the throttle position sensor( potentiometer) has worn out axis and there is gap so you can feel it with your fingers.
What it does, instead of sliding and changing the resistance smoothly, when you change the direction of the pedal up or down,
the tps because of the gap, jumps sharply from one to another resistance and the ECU recieves this information as s sudden change in the accelerator pedal, therefore it jumps!

Partial solution - remove the TPS, spray it couple of times with wd-40 (drown it), and see how it works.
It lasted 3 days for me, until it dry out, then i have same problems.

Back