throttle bodied micra, in uk

i want that engine in my car so much lol
how much and how easy/hard would it be all i know is that it would need a remap but where would you get the parts

Thats because I have such good ideas Mr.Craig!

After the quote from Ed to fit the kit I may have to rethink my plans, lol ;)

Although I've been told that I can use his workshop for a small fee. Maybe you'd like to join me in July for some turbo fitment?! :)

The car is still in build, the original engine is now dead due to oil contamination. NME cams and head are shot, possibly the big ends are too, but I'll have to inspect the engine to confirm......either way it's scrap.

Car should be up to Ed's for mapping on the Omex in about 6 weeks if all the parts arrive in good time. Currently up on stands having a complete rebuild. New engine, cams, gearbox, flywheel, clutch, rear calipers, discs etc. Rear axle, trailing arms, whiteline gear and wheels have been powdercoated, lots of zinc plating been done.......completed the full nismo bush package.....erm......lots basically.

Not sure if it'll get throttlebodies this year, I may save it for the next build as they will be more complimentary to the build I have planned.

Flipping eck Dave! Busy busy!

Shame about the NME cams and head, plus the rest of the engine. Any idea of the cause for the oil contamination?

Sounds like it'll be an amazing car once done, even before the TB's. I've always liked your car and will be even more jealous of it come JAE! :(

Thought I'd seen that name before, shame there aren't any pics...

I've promised Antony some pictures, I'll take some at the weekend and try and find somewhere to host them and put a link up.

The fitting of the bodies actually wasn't that difficult, we even managed to use the standard throttle cable. The air box is still a bit work in progress, the current kevlar one looks the business, but we've got doubts as to its longevity during a rally. Its done about 100 miles on the dyno so far with no dramas.......
The wiring was relatively straight forward, once we'd figured out what of the car/bike sensors we'd be keeping/ditching/using!!
It isn't really cheap, I reckoned it has cost us about £1200, that includes JKM Performance in Portsmouth doing us a fantastic deal on the set-up. We did all the wiring/conversion ourselves in Wozza's garage, with the exception of the tig welded manifold, which was done by a mate.

Call me an ignoramus, but how on earth do you put gixxer throttle bodies on and how is that any better than a body off a better car?

Heard of replacing carbs with bike carbs but thats a different ball game entirely of course.

here you go, pictures....

this is what imam going to do,, i have now decided...

gsxr 600 itb's.......emerald or omex ecu......ultimate cams, janspeed competition exhaust.....thatl do..

Attachments

• DSC01034.JPG
    DSC01034.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC01035.JPG
    DSC01035.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC01036.JPG
    DSC01036.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC01037.JPG
    DSC01037.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC01038.JPG
    DSC01038.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 366
  • THROTTLE BODIES 2.jpg
    THROTTLE BODIES 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 402
  • THROTTLE BODIES 3.jpg
    THROTTLE BODIES 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 419
  • THROTTLE BODIES 4.jpg
    THROTTLE BODIES 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 463
  • THROTTLE BODIES.jpg
    THROTTLE BODIES.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 457
pics were courtesy of one mr mathew humphries...

sorry if these arent to post...

turbo is just waaaaay to expensive, even with my new job i can only dream.

I must ask - how did you get rid of the standard brake servo?

It was a case of having to really.

We needed more space to get the throttle bodies in, but more importantly, we couldn't get enough braking effort away from the back wheels (disc conversion) so made a thing called a bias brake pedal assembly. It is something that is used in racing and rallying where instead of the pedal pushing 1 cylinder, it now pushes 2. The point at which it pushes the 2 cylinders is adjustable, so you can vary the brake pressure to the rear wheels (if it is wet, for example, less braking effort on rear wheels is required). The brake pedal pivot point also had to be moved to make up for some of the loss in servo assistance.

Interesting, you got any pics/prices of that as well?
Is it just standard Micra disks on the back?
Ceers Craig

More expensive than ITB's and a custom inlet manifold, fueling, etc???

yes....very much more..

a turbo setup would cost arround £3000 to do correctly with new parts.
a throttle body setup would cost arround £1800 for a realy realy good setup that could be put together, then upgraded later, such as cams head work etc....

i just see it as a rarer beast than another turbo, plus when you open the engine bay with shiney trumpets and a polished exhaust manifold i just think it looks better than a rusty turbo turbine housing and a cast iron manifold..

well thats my idea anyway

yes....very much more..

a turbo setup would cost arround £3000 to do correctly with new parts.
a throttle body setup would cost arround £1800 for a realy realy good setup that could be put together, then upgraded later, such as cams head work etc....

i just see it as a rarer beast than another turbo, plus when you open the engine bay with shiney trumpets and a polished exhaust manifold i just think it looks better than a rusty turbo turbine housing and a cast iron manifold..

well thats my idea anyway

You change your mind far too often.

Retepetsir...id say with good reason, it cant be an easy decision :) luckily for me mine was or id probs be doing the same and still switching between the three possible options available...

No worries with the pics just saw them and thought thats my lump. What other mods has the engine?

What power are you expecting (estimate) at the end?

What size are the throttlebodies?

Cheers

Paul

i do change my mind quite often, and it has saved me alot of money (cos i havent spent any yet..lol) but rather than rushing out and buying a turbo kit, only to find that i have to get a clutch made, and that it will need to be trailored to london to get mapped or whatever...... i have a car that i can drive and with itb,s, an engine in a stand that i can build out of the car.

i am wanting about 140bhp eventualy, this is a realistic gain in bhp over standard. itb's, possibly GSXR 600 bike itb's. piper cams, (depending on fitment and clearance 1.0 pistons) low CR head gasket, gas flowed head, lightened flywheel.. etc etc

i want to build an engine thats almost motorcycle like in response, instand gratification when you open the throttle and it barks and growls like a btcc car. i dont particularly like the "watooosh" of a dump valve anymore. its too....."look at me" (even though i do have a full (yes thats right a full) nismo body kit) thats not the point.

how many ITB'd cars are there on the roads in the uk?.... not many, how many itb's micras are there on the road in the uk?.... even less.
i can name at least 4 turbo micras from this site alone, let alone people not on here.

plus i can fit the ECU, cams, exhaust and other bits before the itb's and then fit them when i can afford to. rather than completely fitting all of the turbo kit and not being able to drive it whilst i wait for the money to get it mapped.

maybe im just to indecisive...im not sure..lol

Looks like you'll be joining the group then Ant ;)

Just picked up the Omex from Ed........things are looking good time wise, so looking forward to seeing how things go with this years setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 306
hehe, yeah, ive bit the bullet and im gonna go n/a.....

as for the ecu, what are my realistic options? (and i have realy deep pockets, but very short arms)

chars

Well there's plenty of options but budget wise I would say Omex, Emerald, DTA, they're around the £550+vat mark for the ecu plus more for extras such as coolant temp sensor, air temp sensor, crank sensor, trigger wheel and the option of running DIS if you wish.......all are very capable units.

I've written off £1400 for getting mine going, which I feel is realistic......total cost of the installation if you include the necessary brake modifications, manifold fabrication and airbox/filter it's a fair bit more but it will see the CGA3 to it's limits next year and coupled with the Omex it's an investment rather than a cost, as it can be used on future projects.

antony

you can make up your own manifold like this :grinning:
i,ve just been opening up the ports to match the gasket
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9763&stc=1&d=1206809417
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9764&stc=1&d=1206809417

are you going to open up the ports on the head as well as they are smaller than the gasket, are they not?

Dave, why are you not going for an EdCU?

IIRC the 600 bodies taper from 38-35mm, I know that the 750's taper from 42-38mm.

Craig

Not bad - will be loads better than the std setup - which throttlebodies are you using?

craig

hopefully k11, (should be easier to wire up) i,ve cut one down to tps and maf sensors only and shed a load of mechanisms and weight :grinning:
if not, i,ll have to look around at some other types (maybe rover, they,re very compact)
the metering is,nt that important really its mainly to improve the power on gas, i,ve reached the limits of the clutch on petrol, but still got a bit to go on the gas

are you going to open up the ports on the head as well as they are smaller than the gasket, are they not?

Dave, why are you not going for an EdCU?

IIRC the 600 bodies taper from 38-35mm, I know that the 750's taper from 42-38mm.

Craig

EdCU? I take it you mean a re-programmed standard ecu from Ed? I have been running one for about a year now.

The standard ecu is very capable if you want to run a MAF based setup, which I currently do but I intend on running Alpha-N and the Omex is a simpler 'out of the box' solution.......all be it expensive. Also since I am getting much more into engine development I see the standalone as an investment rather than an expense, as it can be used on future projects.

...switching between the three possible options available...

why compromise?. ~ Pauls pics show a piped airbox, i see no reason why you couldnt get a custom plenum chamber and hard-piping made up to connect ITBs to a turbo or S/C ~ at least thats my plan when i win the lottery lol

nah ronin_kid i meant deciding whether to go for a SC, Turbo or NA setup not a combined option...i wouldnt even want to try and estimate costs on somthing like that :)

power is pricey whatever way you want it ~ with S/C or turbo its parts and fitting, assuming its MAF-based you can re-map the standard ecu; wheras for "ultimate" N/A set-up (ITBs) youd need a standalone ecu to go alpha-n (on top of parts/fitting costs)

so made a thing called a bias brake pedal assemble.

How did you do this? I could do witgh one for my car. It makes more difference than you can imagine to the way a car handles. (But I wouldn't advise it for a road car - insurance companies are strange creatures and don't understand )

Back