There's a hole in the bucket...

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
fixingrust.jpg

got to spend my saturday repairing rust.. Luckily its under the rear bumper bar so it doesn't matter what the repair looks like!

this is some of the old rust i found a few months back...

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01174.jpg

I'm not surprised by this. White ST's rust far more than that of other colours for some reason. I had to replace bonnet and boot on my white ST when I did the respray as they were pretty much beyond repair.

(rust creeps beneath the paint work in a spider web shape, you have to take it all back to metal to cure it.)

Strange huh! every other white jap import car i've had has had the LEAST rust out of most peoples...

it just seems to be that area of the car, where water and fuel have dribbled down in and around where those back few panels meet..

unfortunately its not worth me ripping the whole back of the car to bits in search of more, i've cured the worst of it so i'll get another few years out of it

there tiny bits of surface rust under the spare wheel well and along the front radiator support beam, otherwise its pretty clean

the bottom two pics are older ones, i thought i posted them up here maybe they got lost when the forum went down

those ones i fixed up a while back, you can kinda see it in the first photo where its been cut out and sealed up

when i was grinding it out instead of sparks it just looked like brown dirt flying off the grinder, crazy!

we've cut all around where we could find, that IS the worst of it right there

the bottom two pics are older ones, i thought i posted them up here maybe they got lost when the forum went down

those ones i fixed up a while back, you can kinda see it in the first photo where its been cut out and sealed up

when i was grinding it out instead of sparks it just looked like brown dirt flying off the grinder, crazy!

we've cut all around where we could find, that IS the worst of it right there

I think I remember seeing that before yeah
Well at least you have to right Idea this car will be around for a good few years to come

rust

i think i might have a theory behind the rust on the white ones, being a panel beater you learn these things and i think its because all of our cars have being painted with basecoat colour and a lacquer finish on top whereas your car bein bein white it is a 2 pac colour which means there is no need for lacquer just the paint that makes the finish and weathering carodes this paint alot easier so thats why i think rust comes up easier on the white ones, ive done a full respray on my st and i didnt find even one spot of rust

thanks warren, makes sense! my theory is 2 things on my car.

1. its had a really light hit on that side of the car, and has probably been patched up and resprayed at some point, the bumper reo is a bit bent and there's an extra line of paint where it looks like its been taped

2. that is where any leaks from around the petrol filler seal would end up, i'd say rear windows as well but it looks like its a little further behind that

there's kinda a shelf where that vent is in the first picture where the moisture can just sit and rot the metal away

Back