• This is an archive of the old Blogs system from the previous software. If you would like your blog entries moving/merging into the relevant forum/thread, please PM James. These blogs are READ ONLY. Replies CANNOT be made.

TGR and the dent in the front

As I mentioned in the last post the GX has been put on the back burner while we hope a turquoise door turns up.

attachment.php

We got to work on TGR, our blue 'Inspiration'

Not much wrong with it really, not compared to the work we done on the turquoise one!
It failed its last MOT on drivers sill, O/S headlamp aim, passenger brake light and there was an advisory on the passenger front tyre (which we will change anyway). There is no stereo and the drivers wing is rusty round the arch.
Drivers sill needs a small patch on the outer...

attachment.php

but passenger side was fine!

attachment.php

So we got stuck into fixing the dent on the front. It didnt look too bad when the front end was built up but the previous owner said it had failed its MOT on headlamp aim.

attachment.php

So, we removed the front bumper etc.

attachment.php

Will get away with a small patch rather than replacing the whole crossmember.
Front bumper its self looks ok apart from the crack (which can be glued!) but the reinforcing bracket was a bit out of shape!

attachment.php

Its supposed to curve outwards! We threw it out and salvaged one from another bumper.
Next was the end of the chassis leg and front panel. The chassis leg was a bit out of shape at the end, nothing serious but the front panel was out of shape. So we had to remove the headlight, which I hate because...

attachment.php

No matter how careful you are, you always seem to tear at least one mounting out the headlamp!
Anyway, a bit of hammering, drilling out welds, hammering, trial fitting, hammering, twisting and hammering we had everything sitting as it should!

attachment.php

I wanted to get everything lined up (headlamp aim, bumper and bonnet) before welding or repairing the bottom of it. The drivers wing is missing in the pic because we are waiting for the new one.

People keep asking about the big red thing in the background! Its our project 'Pantomime horse'!
Its a Mitsubishi Shogun we are fixing to use it as our tow car. Heres a pic...

attachment.php

Back