RUST hole under windscreen

Well, after a motorway journey a stone chipped my drivers side windscreen. Had it replaced today by Autoglass but the technician found, under the rubber beading when he removed the old screen, a rust hole directly under the seal a bit larger than a 2p piece, on the lower passenger side. The metal around it was firm though. I had him fit the new windscreen anyway - but he said they couldn't insure it because apparently the rust hole is likely to make the glass crack when the hole grows. He said he wouldn't expect it to hold more than a year - but the old windscreen held fine in that area for 9 months from when I bought the car. The technician was adamant though that I should shift the car asap.

What are your thoughts on this? Was he scaremongering or is it definitely a huge problem waiting to happen?

Well, after a motorway journey a stone chipped my drivers side windscreen. Had it replaced today by Autoglass but the technician found, under the rubber beading when he removed the old screen, a rust hole directly under the seal a bit larger than a 2p piece, on the lower passenger side. The metal around it was firm though. I had him fit the new windscreen anyway - but he said they couldn't insure it because apparently the rust hole is likely to make the glass crack when the hole grows. He said he wouldn't expect it to hold more than a year - but the old windscreen held fine in that area for 9 months from when I bought the car. The technician was adamant though that I should shift the car asap.

What are your thoughts on this? Was he scaremongering or is it definitely a huge problem waiting to happen?

Hmm not heard of a problam like that before, however when i had my windscreen replaced pretty much the whole of the top was rusted causing mega leakage when raining. But the autoglass guy was kind enough to put extra glue to make sure was okay.

Yeah, that's what this guy did. He filled the hole with the black glue gummy stuff. It's water proof so I guess that will hold off any more water reaching the rusty hole. I reckon it's okay really and should hold for ages. I mean rust doesn't spread THAT fast, especially if it's clean up, isolated and surrounded in waterproof glue. I hope...

Here's where the hole was and what he did. Spread the glue out far too to give max protection. Looks okay, but it's right under the bottom part of the glass.

p1100244jn.jpg

Back