• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The Mighty Green Micra

Hey, sorry for the slow response. It wasn't an easy job for me at the time due to the location and lack of a proper jack.
It isn't really that difficult, if you pay attention and have patience.
You have to remove the rear seat to get to the fuel pump access, then open that, drain the fuel and remove the pump(if needed). Then go under the car and undo the fuel hoses and loosen the 2 straps holding the tank up. It would be very simple if you have an assistant and use a lift.
I only removed the tank to give is a thorough cleaning, but I did have to replace the pump, and should have replaced the filler hose but I just taped it up instead and it is still fine today.
I'm writing this in a very sleep deprived state :confused: so the best I can suggest atm is to consult the manual. There is a good procedure in there, but i have to add that in removing the pump, carefully remove the float sensor first, the remove the pump by lifting the clips and sliding it forward... just saved you some fuss right there ;)
Good luck with it all, and remember to post pics and such
...oh, and no smoking/well ventilated area/gloves/yada yada...

thank you. i will let you know later on. (in soon, i need a help.:))

Life.. it gets in the way sometimes. So I've had my Micra for a little over 2 years and still haven't gotten halfway through the to-do list before the modding to-do list :( Every step forward is accompanied by a step back. I finally had the time and space to replace the left suspension arm, and after that was done, I looked at the right one and the boot has already cracked after being replaced just over a year ago. :mad: I won't give up though! I've put too much effort into this to give up now..

A few words on replacing ball joints: USE THE PROPER TOOLS! After destroying two ball joint seperators, I bought a simple one called a 'pickle fork'. I've heard many mechanics say not to use one, but never knew why. Now I know the only reason not to use it would be if you need to keep the rubber boot intact.

So, Saturday evening, off with the wheel, then the brake caliper..
the main bolt for the arm is completely rusted in place, so I cut that out. Easy enough..
Now the ball joint.. I haven't the tools to do this by the book, which requires dismantling the hub assembly, which means replacing the bearing, which means I would have to do the same for the other side...
so I cut the nut to get it off.. easy, done..
Now I spend the next hour with a seperator on the bolt and hammering on the knuckle, one more turn on the seperator and it pops right off.. but the joint is still in place..... now I see the seperator is broken, and it's about 15 mins before the shop closes for the weekend.. I call my father-in-law and he buys me another one.. so now I'm trying to be a bit more careful with this one, but the same thing happens....
two seperators destroyed, about two hours of hammering and cursing, my weekend wasted... monday afternoon, a trip to the store, pickle fork and hammer in hand.. come home, hammer away for about 10 seconds and bam, done.. have a little victory dance :D ..less than half an hour later I'm driving out of the garage :)

grr.jpg
bryter.jpg

I've had a water leak for a while, but had a hard time finding out where it was coming in.

This is water in the heater box..

heaterbox.jpg

and corrosion on the fan motor...

motor.jpg

After searching for a bit, I came across something on micra.com.au that suggested it was coming in around the green windscreen support(it supports the windscreen when it is installed and the sealant is still curing).

leak.jpg

So I popped this out and put some sealant and put it back in, as well as the two clip holders. I also added some sealant along the bottom of the windscreen where the original seal was a bit deteriorated.

sealed.jpg

I hope this helps anyone else who is having the same problem :)

It's been almost 2 weeks since I put in the sealant and we've had enough rain and snow to really put it to the test. I haven't had any signs of leakage yet, and normally the floor would have been soaked after the weather we've had. :D

Back