The DIY turbo build thread - Page 2

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Bottom end rebuilt with new piston rings and seals. 2mm copper HG installed.

Attachments

• 84670.jpg
    84670.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 29

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Tomei cam and new timing chain kit installed. Not to sure about the timing, the valves don't seem to contacting the pistons while cranking the motor.

Attachments

• 84672.jpg
    84672.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 34

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Picture of the idler sprocket and the cam sprockets @ TDC. Anyone know if this looks right? From the Haynes manual and what i've read on here it seem to be right.

Attachments

• 84673.jpg
    84673.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 36

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Well it should have been right because I followed your advise on the "me again" thread which had about 100 posts about setting the timing chain, camshafts, etc.

Test fit of the intake and turbo manifold. There only about 10mm between the exhaust housing and the cam cover. I'm going to need a blanket so I don't melt it.

Attachments

• 84679.jpg
    84679.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 36

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Danvillan WROTE:

"Well it should have been right because I followed your advise on the "me again" thread which had about 100 posts about setting the timing chain,

:)
with used chains i find that the lobes line up with the edge of the bolts eh dan, and when i dial them in to get equal overlap @ tdc the exh one tends to advance a few degrees (like yours looks like ^ as a result of the new chains i guess ?)
have you measured the overlap of those tomei,s mate ? the stock timings are supposed to be 42/0/0/42 eh (no overlap in theory, tho my 4 buckets contact the cams for about 20 deg either side of tdc)

Attachments

• 84682.jpg
    84682.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 34

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
The over lap is intake opens @ roughly 27 deg & the exhaust closes @ roughly 35-40 deg so somewhere around 65 deg of overlap. Does that sound right? I guess the exhaust being advanced a bit is making the difference between the two.

Once the chain stretches a bit will the intake increase or the exhaust decrease in degrees?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
yes that sounds good dan :) i guess the new chains will bed in for a few days, and that,ll give about 33 deg either side eh.
you will probably get some unburned charge passing through under boost with that much overlap, but it should pass emissions np off boost tho hopefully :)

Back