Tax

G_Man

Ex. Club Member
My car tax has ran out on the 31st of January, i tried to renew it but the car failed its MOT and has to be MOT'd for the following month before it can be taxed. I went to post office and he sed he cant tax it until its mot'd but i cant get it mot'd until its fully fixed, tis nearly there, just need to go to powerflow and hope for a re-test on monday. The thing im wondering is will i be fined for not having any tax or are you allowed say 14days or sumthing to get the tax?

cheers

Just this afternoon I heard that road tax advert on the radio, going on about there being an automatic £80 penalty if you don't declare the car off the road (SORN) or renew your tax - I'm not sure what the leeway is on this.

What happens if you do not re-license your vehicle?

The new rules mean that keepers who fail to re-license their vehicle (or declare SORN) will incur an automatic penalty of £80 (reduced to £40 if paid within 28 days). Determined offenders will be faced with prosecution and could be fined a minimum £1000.

DVLA will carry out a computer check each month to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. Although the new rules mean that it is no longer necessary for the vehicle to be seen on a public road before a penalty is issued current on-road enforcement will still continue.

Hi m8, you are right as i spoke to the dvla yesterday, you do have up to 14 days to tax the car, you obviously cant drive it and have to have it parked in a driveway/garage, ie off the road, so dont worry m8 as long as you get the car taxed within the 14 days you will be fine, regards MTB:].

Yeah, dat sux. Ring da DVLA and say whats happenin and dat u will pay back-tax (paying for road-use AFTER you have used it) when u get ur MOT

ah right thats ok then, cheers MTB mate, thats what i wanted to hear :| lol

was curious because the bloke at the post office didnt tell me i had to declare it SORN or he didnt tell me how long i had to tax it either, so thats what kinda worried me, but its all good now

cheers again :)

yeah ur ment to get a fine right away.

the law in this country is on it asre,

you pay 1000+ insurance,40+ for mot and however much for tax but if u get caught without these u get fined 80quid if ur pulled by the police

Just declare off the road, I did once then was put back on road bout a month later, got leters confirming even when I was rid but it's better do it just to be safe!

mine ran out on 31st as :D
but i need insurance docs through to get it
whiich i have confirmed i should recieve in the morning
:D
so will be down tomorrow tocollect

NP g , you wont get a fine as long as you pay it within the 14 days and keep it off the public road, hope you get it all sorted m8, MTB

They're normally very slow at taking this up though. My mate in Plymouth got his fine 3 and a half months after his SORN had lapsed, early last year! I also had mine on the road for just over a month whilst trying to get it through it's MOT with no probs. Wouldn't recommend the gamble, obviously, especially as mine eventually got spotted by a copper after my house mate's car got broken into...

Back