Driving with no tax

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Is this ever legal (i.e. when buying a new car with no tax), or will I have to go down the nearest post office and get in taxed up with the V5, even though it isn't in my name?
Cheers Craig

na illigal as but if its only a short distance just bomb it down lol if you get stoped smile and tell them the story....hopefully the coper will be a micra lover

What! Its perfectly LEGAL. You just need valid mot and insurance. Thats it, doesnt matter whos name its in.

Ed said:
What! Its perfectly LEGAL. You just need valid mot and insurance. Thats it, doesnt matter whos name its in.
dvla say "If you are/or become the registered keeper of a vehicle, you must ensure that the vehicle is licensed or a SORN declaration has been made. If it is not, you could face a fine and further penalties"
i read that as if it has no tax you cant drive it, needs to be trailored away if it doesnt have any. and stored off road when you get home. and make sure it is sorn declared.

if you have just bought the car your name will be on the v5 somewhere as either you or the seller wrtie in in dont they? i'm going from memory here as i have gone through quite a few sales and there is a particular way it all goes, its been awhile since i have done it though.

did you drive it before getting the tax? thats what the topic asking? i'm sure its illegal to drive it.

its only legal to drive without tax if you are travelling to or from a booked mot appointment, you still have to be insured though.

You can also drive to or from a place of repair such as a garage in order to carry out mot work etc. But yes in every case must be insured.

when i bought my micra it didnt have any tax on it and it took the insurers 3 days to send me the documents.
one of my friend said that its ok to drive without tax in this period because the law somewhere states that there is a 7 days allowance period or something if say your tax is due for renewal etc starting on the day your tax expired.

if you get a ticket for it, he said i have valid grounds and evidence that i am due to get one so they couldnt charge me.

either this is true or i am very gullible. :blush: :laugh:

It is Illegal in all instnaces to drive any motor vehicle without road tax. (unless exempt by the 25 year tax exemption)

The only time you can get away with driving on the public roads without tax is if you are driving to a garage to have your car MoT'd or driving to a garage to have repair work for an MoT to be carried out. (as you can not get tax without a MoT. the car still needs to be insured.

if you buy a new car without tax you need to provide the post office with a Valid MoT, V5c (log Book), Valid insurance Certificate (origional not fax) and Payment.

if the V5c is not in your name, fill out the part for a new registered keeper and the post office will send this off to the DVLA, this is a safe, and quicker way to get the documents to the DVLA. (saving you the price of a first class stamp)

Some insurance companies (like Adrian FLux) will email you the certificate when you change your insurance, saving time, if you print this out it looks like the origional that they send you in the post and good enough for the Post Office. they will not accept a fax. failing this you will have to wait untill your documents arrive.

in some counties (depending on the rules they have set) this is what can happen
if you are caught without road tax they will impound your car, and give you a fine and charge you removal costs of the car, this can be around £150, then about £40 per day holding charge. they will not release it untill you present a valid tax disc.

the DVLA can also fine you up to £1000, and unlimited for repeat offenders.

if you are parked on the road with out tax, the car can be removed by the council. a little while ago if the car was seen or deemed to be left there on the road for more than 48 hours with out tax the car would be crushed, regardless.

if i was you i'd drive the car the minimum distance you need to and park it off of the road, keep all your documents with you including the receipt and hope you dont get caught. if you do get caught own up straight away declaring you have not tax, but you have only just bought the car. show them the documents and hope you have a sympathetic copper infront of you.

Yes, that is the thing, I am possibly going to Kent to buy the car, so might get covered on it for the week or so so that I at least have a cover not and then ask the seller whereI can go get taxed after I have bought it and drive down in my lift. Was thinking of just driving down teh PO in new car, but for the hassle that i would get if stopped compared to the extra effort it is to get down there another way I really don't thinki it is worth it TBH.
A one-week cover note should be sufficient shouldn't it?

should do definatly, post office gave me tax with an invalid insurance certificate once (and no i was not driving around with no insurance!)

Monkey said:
It is Illegal in all instnaces to drive any motor vehicle without road tax. (unless exempt by the 25 year tax exemption)

Not so,

You still have to have the tax, and apply for it in the same way, but it just costs nothing.

Ed

Ed said:
Not so,

You still have to have the tax, and apply for it in the same way, but it just costs nothing.

Ed

i know i could have go into how to tax a >25 year old car but i kept it shot and sweet ot save going off on a tangent

Ok but you should not try to clarify a point and insert another which at face value is wrong!

Monkey said:

It's no longer a 25 year ruling, the government scrapped the rolling 25 years some time ago, any vehicle CONSTRUCTED before the 21st of January (I think) 1972 is exempt from vehicle excise duty, it must however display a current tax disc, which is given free of charge at the post office when the correct documentation is presented, (usual docs + proof of age of vehicle).

Steam powered vehicles

Since 1 April 2001 all steam powered vehicles are exempt.

w00t! time for a steam powered micra raaaaaa

you could be onto something there ian. wonder how compact you can make steam engine using the latest engineering technology. tax free is certainly an incentive.

well its possible really, if you could heat the engine up enough, then use water injection into the cylinder, which would expand into steam and push the piston. I suppose anything is possible. I knwo some people are expimenting this way using a 6-stroke engine for better fuel ecomeny.

Back