car tax help

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
im after a nice cheap car on ebay as a runaround since i may be starting NMUK in the new year :D found a nice little fiesta 5dr with MOT till may but no tax. now im sure there is sumthing in the law about driving home a new (just bought) car with no tax aslong as you have insurance? ebay gives you FREE 7 day insurance with norwich union when you buy a car on "buy it now" or auction style :D so basicly could i drive this cr home WITH MOT and INSURANCE but no tax just to get home? cheers guys :D

i dont think you can if you intend on buying the car then its best to get the necessary paperwork from the seller and get a tax disc before you collect the car.
there are various people saying there are a couple of days allowance but i dont think thats the case. anyway i am sure the police will let you off knowing your situation.

The car legally needs road tax to be on the road. 100% certain on that, the only way it can be on the road without tax is on the back of a lorry/low loader/ etc

anyway i am sure the police will let you off knowing your situation.

No guarantee on that mate!!! Really not worth the risk over £60 for 6 months tax (presuming it's under 1600)

You can be on the roads without an MOT, as long as your driving to a testing center. Maybe you were thinking of that?

It defo must have tax. Renewal documents, adverts and there website will tell you this :)

Actually you can drive without Road Tax, as long as it's to go to an MOT test centre, or a garage to get work required to pass an MOT. As long as it's booked in advance!

Only reason you can drive without Tax! As you can't get road tax without an MOT! Arnold just reminded my simple mind of that one!

Actually you can drive without Road Tax, as long as it's to go to an MOT test centre, or a garage to get work required to pass an MOT. As long as it's booked in advance!

Only reason you can drive without Tax! As you can't get road tax without an MOT! Arnold just reminded my simple mind of that one!

Yep. Bit of a loophole that isnt it?

You need the MOT certificate, V5 and Insurance certificate to get the tax, so you really need to buy the car first, then walk down to the post office, if there are any left by the time you get there.

Back