Tailgate locked??

Greetings one and all.

This is my first post, I hope it's in the right section.

My mother has a Nissan Micra Urbis 05 registration.

WE seem to have a problem in that the boot/tailgate will not unlock.
It is on a central locking system and the doors unlock but the boot will not.

I was wondering if there were any previous threads or if some advice could be given.
Personally I think it is something to do with damp and the electrics but I am not sure where to start.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

If it's what I'm thinking of then it's a common problem on K12 Micras, as you rightly stated the water gets into the latch mechanism and messes it up.

My mum's 56 plate activ started randomly locking and unlocking on it's own at complete random, and it got to the point where we couldn't use it, took it to nissan and they said it was this and that it's a well known problem and replaced it.

Yeah I have a similar problem to Tchaaa's mum with my passenger door, where the intelligent key button has lost its rubber protector. When I wash the car and stand anywhere near the passenger door (washing or drying it) the doors keep locking and unlocking!

I'll replace the button soon.

For now if you can get the back seats down (not so easy if you can't get in the boot...) there is a sliding lever by the boot latch to unlock it. It might be as simple as that, and then it'll work - wouldn't surprise me. Failing that get some WD40 in the latch to disperse any water, re-grease it when it's dry, and see.

Last recourse is a new latch.

Hi,

I had the same problems after washing my car or hard rain in London. Boot will only lock/unlock whenever it feels like doing.

After reading the reviews it seems that this is a common fault with K12 and to replace the switch is a bomb from dealer.

My solution was...

1. In a sunny day (boot was working), I used a flat screw driver and with a little bit of force I took the boot panel off, it was holding by 5-6 clips.
2. Disconnect the boot release switch wire, and undo the 2 bolt (I think I use 10mm sockets), the boot switch panel should now come off.
3. The boot switch is under the rubber bit... with the flat screwdriver you can easily remove the rubber bit to access the actual switch.

.. Guess what I saw... switch has been water damaged... ((Obvious))

4. I used WD40 to give really well clean.
5. Before I put the switch back to rubber bit.. I used my glue gun to seal the edges and gaps, making sure no water get in. You can use any other sealer glue etc etc
6. I put everything back together and bingo, job done!!

For the last 6 months I have washed my car once a week, I have no problems whatsoever.

I hope this might help somebody, PM me if you need any more help.

Back