Passenger Door Will Not Unlock

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Micra K12 1.2 SE 3 door with keyless entry. It's my first Nissan and is generally a great little car.

When I purchased the car some time ago the passenger door would not unlock with the unlock button on the fob or from the keyless entry button on the drivers door so I presumed that this was some sort of security feature.

If I press the unlock button on the key fob about 2 or 3 times then the boot unlocks perfectly and can be opened from the outside handle on the boot. The passenger door still will not unlock using this method.

I thought the problem maybe related to the anti-hijack mode so I have disabled it. The car now unlocks the boot when I also unlock the drivers door from the door button or from the key fob. The passenger door will still not unlock electronically.

If I use the emergency key in the passenger lock then the door unlocks and you can open it. You can then open and shut it as many times as you like. It then works perfectly.

If I unlock the car and then press the unlock switch near the handbrake then all doors unlock apart from the passenger one and it cannot be opened from the outside.

Since purchasing the car I simply unlock the car, get into the car, reach over to the passenger door and open the passenger door by using the internal handle. The passenger door can then be used without a problem until the car is relocked. When the car is locked and unlocked the passenger door remains locked and cannot be opened from the outside again.

Clearly the passenger door is getting locked with the press of the key fob or the door button because you cannot open the passenger door after locking the car. It just seems that the mechanism isn't responding correctly to the unlock command.

I thought it was time to take the plunge and look at what the problem might be.

Have any of you guys had this problem before or recognise the symptoms?

I suspect it's going to be something wrong with the connecting electrical wires or a problem with the actuator or mechanism. When unlocking the car you can hear the door locking mechanism working and it sounds the same as the other door locks. There are not any grinding noises for instance.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi all,

Well I've finally got around to doing some further testing.

When the car is unlocked and I lock the car with the super lock button next to the handbrake it appears that all doors lock. Until I locked it and then tried to open the passenger door from the outside. Strangely the passenger door still opens. It appears the super lock is only locking the driver and boot doors and not the passenger one.

I've pulled off the door card and dismantled the door and checked all the cabling and wiring and that all seems to be ok and I couldn't find any loose or split wires. The cables are tight enough and don't seems to be causing the problem.

I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty sure it's the actuator in the door that is the problem.

I've also found that if I pull the passenger door handle very quickly when pressing the unlock button on the key fob the door will open but the car does then beep for some time afterwards. So I don't think that is a solution to the problem at the moment.

Thanks,

Chris

Back