Battery dead - locked out!

Hi all

I took our radio out to find the serial number (bit of a pain just to see the underside of the radio!) and inadvertently left either a light or the radio on.

Result: dead battery. totally dead.

Obviously the remote key does not work, and I followed the manual instructions to lever off the cover of the passenger door and to then pop the lock using the physical key.

The problem is, the physical key does nothing! It turns both ways, but neither way engages or disengages anything - it hits a hard stop either side, but no obvious 'link' to the lock mechanism.

This is the only physical key lock on the car (neither driver door nor boot have one). Hence, I'm a bit stuck.

Any thoughts on how to get in? Is there a way to pop the bonnet to get some charge into the battery? Sadly it's in a garage, so I won't be able to run a car up to it to charge.

This seems needlessly difficult, but there you go.

easy, take battery with you with leads.......jack up car from front then use axle stands if your not brave, attach via jump leads to thick red wire on starter motor as this goes direct to battery and the earth just attach any where on engine then use your key to gain entry....starter is located at rear of engine right side as you look at it from front.

Ta mate, I'm off to halfords to pick up a battery charger, I assume this does the same job?

Also, is there a reason to jack the car up, other than clearance? I've got a trolley jack and axle stands but it's quite a squeeze - the car is nose-first in the garage!

(eta: How do I 'thnak' the post above? Is there a button for it somewhere?)

Matt, don't try jump starting off a charger! Use it to charge the battery for a while by all means :grinning:.

Ta Guy, will do - the first priority is to pop the doors, once that's done I'll leave it charging for a half hour or so and then see if it fires.

Not sure if I left an interior light on or the battery's just knackered, I'll soon find out!

I've got it up on axle stands but due to the tight constraints of the garage I can't quite get under to see - where is the starter located? It's a 1.0 K12, I can see alternator but struggling to put my hand on the starter.

I've got it up on axle stands but due to the tight constraints of the garage I can't quite get under to see - where is the starter located? It's a 1.0 K12, I can see alternator but struggling to put my hand on the starter.

try the charger on the main alternator lead mattie :)

thanks Frank - sadly, can't get enough under the car to see which is the main lead - there are two coming out, a block connector at the side and what feels like a connector under a rubber boot at the top - this is all by feel, at full and very uncomfortable stretch, so might not be as described!

I assume it'll be the top connector, I'll have another go!

easy, take battery with you with leads.......jack up car from front then use axle stands if your not brave, attach via jump leads to thick red wire on starter motor as this goes direct to battery and the earth just attach any where on engine then use your key to gain entry....starter is located at rear of engine right side as you look at it from front.

Ta kennie

I can locate what looks like the starter, but no large red cable - there's a black one which attaches to the frame and a smaller thinner one which attaches via block. Is the red shielded or covered in some way?

Apologies for noddy questions, the car really is up against a wall and there's no room to move!

Sorry kennie, hope you haven't had to make a trip - got it at last!

The eagle-eyed missus noted that we could see the alternator through the grille, so she guided it in - a bit of contortion and a few grazed knuckles, but we're in! Popped locks, opened bonnet and now she's charging away.

Thanks to all for advice, much appreciated.

ok easy enough to get to its the wire with the rubber around it
starter.jpg
hope this helps

Back