tacho fitting service?

hey all, bought an aftermarket tacho and wandering if anyone knows a good place in birmingham to get it fitted?or if anyone offers the service on here? cheers

agilecanon said:
you know what,gonna try it myself....how hard can it be lol, could someone just clarify if these wires would be o.k to use to extend the tacho wires,as the tacho wires are only about 6 inches long:confused: and about 1mm in thickness http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_201167_langId_-1_categoryId_265892 muchos grazias

There are some tacho threads. Use search bar.

I have same problem as your but I haven't fix it yet. Still I need to fix my car properly then I will get extend wires before I install this aftermarket tacho :D

you know what,gonna try it myself....how hard can it be lol, could someone just clarify if these wires would be o.k to use to extend the tacho wires,as the tacho wires are only about 6 inches long:confused: and about 1mm in thickness http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_201167_langId_-1_categoryId_265892 muchos grazias
you just need to get some wire that is the same gauge or bigger than the ones on the tacho eh :) and you can tap into the blue wire on the smaller connector to the dizzy

cheers jk9194 and mr frank, i saw the blue wire coming from the dizzy cap,only about an inch of it showing so is going to be an interesting challenge,just going to buy some electrical wire connectors to save on soldering etc,sounds simple,will update purple hobbit thread if all goes well:)

you just need to get some wire that is the same gauge or bigger than the ones on the tacho eh :) and you can tap into the blue wire on the smaller connector to the dizzy
Sorry to highjack this and please excuse my ignorance.

What is "dizzy" is it distributor? if not where is located. Once I was told to clean the white stuff from it, but looked in haynes manual could not find it.

Regards

well update time,i got it fitted,just attatched positive and negative to the corresponding wires on the radio,the signal wire i fed through a rubber bung behind the glove box,but do not think i can connect to the blue wire coming out of the dizzy as there is only about an inch of it showing which is next to another wire,just seems like there is not enough room to work with,any ideas? the tacho lites up just fine and looks pretty cool,just needing advice on signal wire now.was tricky to do everything though,there's a ton of wires behind my consol,and was dark outside which didn't help,my mouth hurts from holding the torch :cool:

my mouth hurts from holding the torch

Been there, done that :D.

You need to buy some heatshrink tubing then strip 1/2" of insulation off each end of the wires. Put an inch of heatshrink over one of the wires and slide it away from the end. Twist the two stripped ends together and solder them together. Now slide the heatshrink over the joint and waft a lighter under it until i encases the joint :).

The yanks call those scotchlocks. They're convenient but alot of people prefer soldering ;).

i now have a working tacho! did as frank said,tapped into the blue wire from the smaller connector,only the blue wire from the smaller connector is green! i have a wire going across the engine bay which i'm abit concerned about,but everything works which is cool:) thanks for your help everyone;) will put pics in purple hobbit thread soon

Back