T2 turbo or t25

Broony

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Im looking at buying a turbo, aiming for 150bhp at the wheels. what do you guys think and whats the best for the job. Im thinking t2 for quick spool or a t2 hybrid but not sure if it has the meat??

peter

yep t25 for 150 but try and get a ballbearing series one for some faster spooling.

there are also gt1752 (volvo s40/v40) series turbos which will get you to about 150 but will be near the peak power there and spool very quick becasue of the variable vane tech. The will give you atleast 1 psi by 1800-2000 but will run out of puff after about 1.1 bar. suited to the cg13 imho very common on the 1300cc minis as well.

I would go for a t2. My 480 uses a t2, spools up at around 2k rpm. Good for over 170bhp. More than that a t25 is required to reduce inlet temperatures. If 150bhp is the most power you want, I think a t2 will provide the power and spool up in an every day driving sort of way. If you want 1/4mile times go for the t25.

He is talking 150@wheels, which is more than a T2 will do.

VNT turbos are also not idealy suited to petrol engines as the exhaust gasses are considered too hot for them.

Oil pressure at low revs is lower than oil pressure at high revs. A hybrid t2 might spool sooner, but the oil pressure (at 180bhp) may be less than sufficient to correctly maintain the turbo. Keep this in mind. IMHO I would aim for less power with a t2.

Oil pressure is not related to the amount of power you run.

thats why the 180 was in brackets. 180 being the target power at the fly. oil pressure is affected by rpm, as i wrote. cheers.

Turbos really dont need much oil flow. Perhaps I am being picky, but I don't get your post! Fit any turbo you like on a K11 and the oil supply will be fine under all conditions!

Maybe, but I know that on the 480 turbo which uses a t2, if you remove boost control, the turbo can get damaged due to spooling up before oil pressure is sufficient. Mentioned as a concern / consideration.

Back