Supercharger + Black Smoke

TJW

Ex. Club Member
I have had my ST Sitting up a while and since starting it and replacing a perrished pipe from the Supercharger to the bypass valve , its been bellowing out black smoke and wont rev.
Thinking i need a new S/C.
I have the belt off the S/C and want to run without it.
The car runs a bit jumpy when the S/C Light comes on. How can i fix this?
Also the turbo can b heard to create boost and dumpvalve is working when i back off but i am not getting any boost into the intake! Thinking bypass valve to be the problem.
Can anyone give me a quick fix that doesn't involve removing the bypass valve? ie swapping vacume pipes or something.

Swap the vac line between the turbo outlet and bypass valve(before the Y in the pipe work) and the one underneath the Intercooler. She should boost away grand then if the rest of the vac lines are fitted correctly

Sounds like you have a boost pipe disconnect somewhere (not a vacuum pipe) the AFM is metering air which is not getting to your engine thus its chucking in fuel and making the black smoke.

Check your main boost pipework.

I really think its the supercharger. Its really noisy. Even on idle.
Thinking it needs rebuilding.
Anyone in ireland looking for a March ST for parts or restoration???

I really think its the supercharger. Its really noisy. Even on idle.
Thinking it needs rebuilding.
Anyone in ireland looking for a March ST for parts or restoration???

Superchargers don't run at idle

That car needs looking at properly. I suspect all the pipes will be all over the place.

Not on the ST it doesn't. Its on an electromagnetic clutch.

i always thought superchargers are belt driven from the crank therefore run constant even at idle. ?

It runs like an air-con pump with the electro magnetic clutch when the sig from the throttle postion sensor ( depends on engine load and throttle postion) its sends a sig to the s/c to engage, same on the 4agze Toyota engine for the supercharged levin

You gona buy another one?[/QUO

still have mine there think ill just keep them..id buy his one and make a good one out of his one and the one i have for parts..these cars begin to grow on ye !! ive kept my st the longest out of every car i ever owned..

Back