Super S on LPG Gas Conversion

Hey guys, I have just converted my Super S to LPG, and it makes such a difference performance wise, better throttle response, more MPG, cleaner emissions.

I done the conversion in work time, as we supply LPG Gas systems to the trade. It is a really easy conversion to do and I would highly recommend it to anyone out there whether their car is Carb, or Injection.

On gas I have a 34 Ltr tank in the spare wheel well, which by requirements can only be filled by 80% ( tank has automatic shut off ), and it costs me £15 to fill it when its bone dry, and I can get 240 miles out of it.

The cost of the conversion is really cheap, and well worth it because look at how much you can be helping the environment.

In the engine bay there is 1) Vapouriser, 2) Mixer ring which attaches to the top of your carb and the airbox goes on top, 3) Petrol Solonoid which cuts off the petrol supply when you switch over to gas, 4) Gas Solonoid which allows the flow of gas into the vapouriser, 5) All the pipes required for gas flow, petrol flow, and of course water supply.

On my dashboard I have a push button switch which when you are on petrol there is a red L.E.D. lit, then to switch to gas simply press it once, then wait for your carb to empty, then as the car starts to die press it again and your on gas, with 4 L.E.D.'s lit up telling you how much gas you have.

Edit: Content removed, to sell through the MSC, please contact Kev on [email protected] to discuss trading packages

Many thanks to you all for taking time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon. Please do your bit for the environment.

Alex

Good stuff a couple of points however.

LPG has a lower calorific value, its not actually possible to get more MPG from LPG it will drop by about 10%.

And your post sounds too much like an advert. You may find the advert part of your post removed by admin shortly.

The reason why I'm getting better MPG on gas is because the fuelling on petrol is poor due to a worn carb. The fuel meting of the gas is very accurate due to the fact I'm using the best possible LPG metering components for the engine. If I fitted a new carb then the MPG on petrol would be better than on gas.

Yes the calorific value is lower and that is why normally you would loose some fuel consumption. The advantage of LPG is the high octane rating (average 115 ron). LPG is also a dry fuel so does not dilute the engine oil resulting is less engine wear.

My fuel bill is under half what it was when I was running only on petrol due to the fact the LPG is under half the price of petrol.

How much would it cost a typical consumer (say one with a 1.4 16 valve MPI engine) to get an LPG conversion?

The advantage of LPG is the high octane rating (average 115 ron).

Glad you elaborated on the topic. The above however makes little or no difference on a compression ratio of that of a micra. To modify it for such would then remove the ability to run on normal petrol.

The higher octane will allow you to advance the timing somewhat by means of a advance processor that reverts to normal timing when running on petrol. (these units are available of the shelf but not often used)

It is quite easy to go to a LPG running only if you like. You could then either raise the compression if you like or it makes a turbo/blower install a lot simpler.

If you want to keep both petrol and Gas and make the most of the octane you can raise the compression as far as super unleaded will let you go and then get the best of both worlds.

got any pictures of the install mate would be intresting to see, friend of mine used LPG on his land rover much better for the engine from what i understand i.e. less engine wear

My brother in law uses it on his classic '72 Rover P5B 3.5 and his Landrover Discovery 3.5, his P5 only costs the same to run as my old K10 1.0l.

Yeah sure, I will take some at the weekend when I will be working on the car. It is such a great investment. My Micra Super S will be going up for sale in the next few months sadly.

I believe for certain engine sizes you can get a grant towards the conversion from the government, however this is quite irrelevant for most micra drivers lol

Back