strange noise from my micra:(

right i dont know what it is. basically when im stopped and i slightly rev the car, not much just slightly, i get this weird like rattleing/metal moving on metal noise. this is the only time that it happens. my mate in college said that (to him) it sounds like my cat is going. but iv recently (in the past month or two) had my backbox and one of the pipes changed as it had a hugeeee hole in it, but the noise has been happin since i got the car in july/august.

any ideas on what the sound could be? its not much of a problem, its just annoying more than anything.

sounds like a heat shield rattling. Get someone hold the revs at the right point and see if you can narrow the sound down by grabbing the shields etc

Yeah it sounds like the heat shield too, the exact same thing happened on my Nova, get under and rip it out, job done (Y) (don't be scared to proper pull on it, as they can be hard to pull out sometimes)

if its the metal underneith by your exhaust on my facelift its screwed into the floor by a number of bolts so dont try n rip it off might hurt your hand just have a quick look first :)

if its the metal underneith by your exhaust on my facelift its screwed into the floor by a number of bolts so dont try n rip it off might hurt your hand just have a quick look first :)

so im guessing its most likely screwed in on the prefacelift too, so if its loose i can take it off or tighten it up?

so im guessing its most likely screwed in on the prefacelift too, so if its loose i can take it off or tighten it up?

My bad, they are screwed in, but mine fell off completely (Spax VSX kits are a tad stiff) and was just resting on the exhaust, if some bolts are still in place then undo them, it would be best to take it out really as it serves no real purpose, your car wont burst into flames without it, mine and every other Nova I know run fine without them, excess weight tbh.

My bad, they are screwed in, but mine fell off completely (Spax VSX kits are a tad stiff) and was just resting on the exhaust, if some bolts are still in place then undo them, it would be best to take it out really as it serves no real purpose, your car wont burst into flames without it, mine and every other Nova I know run fine without them, excess weight tbh.

sound il have alook tomorrow if its not raining (disadvantages of not having a garage)

i have a similar noise when its just sitting ideling or when your moving of in first.. sounds more like its coming towards the front of the car tho

i have a similar noise when its just sitting ideling or when your moving of in first.. sounds more like its coming towards the front of the car tho

I had an exhaust shielding rattle on my old Micra, and that sounded more like it was coming from underneath the car (as you'd expect).

On my current Micra it had a (really quite loud) metally rattling when idling and sometimes when pulling away.
Turned out there was a bit of play in the bonnet and the the catch was rattling! There are a couple of rubber stops that can be unscrewed on either side of the car (near each headlight) to minimise this play in the bonnet. Perhaps it's worth a try :)

on my k11 1.0 it was a 1995 with around 130,000 miles and i found when u were idling and revved it slightly over 1000 rpm i got that metal on metal sound, it was the timing chain which had 'stretched' which from being on this forum seems to be quite common in Micras, i bought an €8 oil treatment, forget the brand though, quietened it down a treat though :D try it...

Back