Help - strange knocking noise

B

barry c

Before you say anything its not the engine :D I notice that when i drive around sharp corners, especially left ones, that a rattle knocking noise comes from the front left of the car. I also noticed that the cv boot was split. Is that noise a shot cv joint? Are they easy to fix? Is the parts expensive? How much would a garage charge to fix? Is it dangerous to drive? Sorry for all my questions!

OP
OP
B

barry c

http://www.partsinabox.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Micra_1000_Mar_1993_On_1361.html

Is this what i need to buy?

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
Yeh, go down to your local motor factors and they will supply you with the correct part, its not that difficult but if you are unsure take it to a garage, im sure they wouldnt charge too much!

Daz :alien:

OP
OP
B

barry c

They want 140 pounds for a cv joint! But i found it online at a parts place for just 25 + delivery. I spoke to they guy who sold the car to me and he said he will get it fixed for free, al should be ok now :D

Andrew

Club Member
I know you've found a solution but quite a lot of the time the cheapest fix is to get a good condition drive shaft from the scrapyard.... it's an easier job to do and quite often cheaper.

Andrew

Club Member
barry c said:
Does a drive shaft come with the cv joint attached?

A driveshaft has both CV joints on it. As long as the boots are intact, and there is no horrible grinding when you move it about, it should be fine.

richmicratwista

Direct Detailing UK
was in sheffield where i live!!

he is kinda a mate of mine so he did it a bit cheaper but i'd pay no more than £100 to be honest.

not sure how dangerous it is but i took no chances

OP
OP
B

barry c

She is all fixed now and drives sweetly. I am greatly enjoying the small fuel cost! :D

So was it the CV joint Barry? how much u get it done for? where?
Ive had knockin from my front right wheel now for 2 months, and if it aint knocking, then its making like as if something is gettin stretched, noise

OP
OP
B

barry c

It was the cv joint and the seller fixed it for free. It initially sounded like a knocking going around cornerd that got worse and then happened on acceleration in a straight line. When i looked the boot was split and the grease had come out. You should check that first.