Strange Hissing sound

T

technium

Hi everyone

Just recently ive noticed a hissing or blowing sound coming through want seems like the air vents, at first I thought it was the fan but I turned that off and its still doing it, so heres what happens :-

When the engine is just iddly sitting there you dont hear it, as your driving along 30mph plus you hear it BUT if I put my foot on the clutch it stops!!! and then if I have NO foot on either clutch or excellerater you can still hear it, so the only thing that makes it stop is pressing the clutch, also if I remove the car out of gear (coast) it stops.

Any ideas as Im definately not a Mechie lol

btw its a k11 Wave

thanks

i think its the release bearing,,i cnt be 100% mate but wen other guys see this thread they will be more sure than me

but thats wot i think it is

Please say thats as cheap as it sounds just a bearing or is it going to cost more than the cars worth?

thanks mate

Well found out what it was or is.

Took it to garage and the guy said its the Gearbox bearing and is likely to cost £350 - £400 to fix :( looks like its gonna end up at scrappy then.

:(

No were near. You can get another reconned gearbox for £50. Then it just fitment.

The bearing itself can be sort for £30-£35,

That will be more labour charges than any thing.

Were abouts are you located

Or you can adjust your clutch so that it doesnt whine, just tighten up your clutch cable a bit and ull be sorted. Plus the whining doesnt mean its gone! It means its on its way out - which could be another 60K miles! It doesnt mean its going to collapse tomorow! You can still run around in it, iv done 12k in mine whistling! I jus adjusted the clutch and now its gone...

Hope This Helps
Daz :alien:

Sketch im located in sunny old dorset well Weymouth area actually.

The guy said that I may be able to drive it for a few more Months yet but still £350 - £400 seemed alot, although he did say they would need it for a couple of days to do the work.

Guess I might have to do a bit of phoning around as im into computers not cars lol so wouldnt have a clue!!!

thanks

T

yeah I paid £85 for a scrap gearbox! Recon was £180 (thats in birmingham).
U can swap the whole gearbox for less than £350 including labour! (i did)

Back