hissing sound from the boot area of my car

.kiz

Buy & Sell Member
so im driving along, didnt really notice anything until the other day.
my boot is making a hissing sound, like some air is coming through, so i slam all the doors, and it still hisses.
so i rev it from stationary and its still hissing, indicating something from the exhaust.
i have had a quick look to see if i can see any holes, and nothing.
does anyone have an idea as to what it could be?
if i need a new backbox how much is it going to cost off the top of ones head?

how can i check to see if it is the fuel pump, and if it is, what will it take to stop it from hissing

EDIT: i doubt it is the fuel pump, i have got out and listened and its coming from the exhaust side

Ah right, you didnt say you heard it from outside the car!

Backbox cost can be £25 upwards, depending on if you fit it, or a garage.

i will eventually upgrade it, but i owe £300 to people to get my car and me driving lol

i checked for blockages, and saw something, so i poked a stick up there.
instead of hissing, i rev it up and when i let go of the acceleration it lets a bassy sort of pop, as if something blocks the exhaust then gets out the way.
i hope someone hasnt shoved something up my exhaust, cause if they have i will take it out, and shove it somewhere they wont like :p

i checked for blockages, and saw something, so i poked a stick up there.

lol, excellent mental image i got when i read that :D

from what your describing your backbox may have broken up inside, restricing air flow...but check the connections for signs of leaks while youre at it, incase its just a loose joint.

not a pump problem IMO...I get a fierce HISSSSSSSswhen I remove the petrol cap just before a refill....

The tank has some pressure...

sounds to me like its just fuel tank air escaping somwhere....listen neer the filler cap and down that same side......>

ok so i have found out, it is my back box.
theres a hole in it so im going to replace it.
ideally i need a nice cheap one to sort it out for now then when i have any money i will buy an upgraded one.
can anyone reccomend a place to buy one for around £25 with p&p?

ok so i have found out, it is my back box.
theres a hole in it so im going to replace it.
ideally i need a nice cheap one to sort it out for now then when i have any money i will buy an upgraded one.
can anyone reccomend a place to buy one for around £25 with p&p?

You'll be lucky to find one for £25 inc p&p, unless you look on ebay...

I've got one for sale, brand new - used for a week or so. Cost me £50 but i'd sell it for £25 collected. I'm in Horsham, west sussex.

the petrol pump is on the engine on k10 so i cant be that in the fuel tank :p

You wanna check the breather pipe, If thats blocked there could be enough pressure to implode your tank! :p

OK, if youre looking for something to get you by...how about this?

LOL

Attachments

• beanbox.jpg
    beanbox.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 231
Back