K11 (1999) Wierd Hissing Noise

C

Crazee

Hi Guys,
I hope some1 out there has encountered this little problem before cos all my mechies are completely stumped......

ok, so it started about 2 weeks ago i was quite happily driving along a very nice smooth road, approaching some traffic lights and as i backed off the accelerator the car hissed at me for a second... "wierd..." i thought, as i slowly put my foot back on the accelerator again as the lights ahead had changed to green it hissed at me again!

Now i can get the daft little micra to do this at will and very easily (but requires very little movement on the accelerator) , first heard in second gear approaching 15 mph, again in 3rd at around 22 mph, again in 4th at 30 mph and finally does it again in 5th at 40 mph.

I did find that one of the vacume pipes had come loose so i put it back and clamped it, this was the original diagnosis but didnt cure it. since then all the mechies at the car recovery company i work for have looked it over for where this noise is coming from but no-one can find it. I even went to the extreme and had all the vacume pipes replaced, just incase one of them had a small hole or split in it, but still no change.

The hissing noise doesnt seam to cause any other problems with the running of the car but is dammed annoying.

I hope I have given enough info for you guys, also hope someone has encountered this also.

Thanks in advance for any usefull info.

G
:k11motors

Hi What happens when you Put ur foot down...noise dissapears?.....if not and it gets worse it could be your exhaust blowing...maby at the Manifold if it sounds under the bonnet :glare:

I also have this problem in my SR, its only at a certain point of the pedal, almost sounds like its coming from the footwell in my car.

fwn Humm very wierd maby someone installed a turbo whilst you was on holiday :grinning: (i wish)

heh soz i aint a clue if it isnt Exhaust :grinning:

Crazee said:
first heard in second gear approaching 15 mph, again in 3rd at around 22 mph, again in 4th at 30 mph and finally does it again in 5th at 40 mph.
it sounds like it's happening at the same rpm in each gear, could it be a vibration from a heat shield, or a leaky exhaust joint, at worst it could be a blown head gasket, that tends to make a squeaking or hissing sound.

it sounds like it could be ur thrust bearing on the clutch - those speeds will have the revs really low

Just had a thought - what about ur belts - maybe u can hear them at those speeds because the engine isn't making much noise...

When were they last changed?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Its happening at v.low revs, sound comes from left hand side of car under bonnet, only happens for a second or two, then goes away. the car has done 46k miles, belts havent been changed yet and there is no oil/coolant loss or mixing so i think the head gasket is ok for now.

on a lighter note... I dont seam to have a snake in residence in my micra and if a turbo had been slipped onto the engine while i was at work would have been real cool... 998cc TURBO'd micra.... lol (that'd be reall quick!!)

Cheers again, any other suggestions would be great.

:alien:

Brilliant. cheers wilsonian.. sound is definatly from gearbox, so must be the clutch thrust bearing. I been advised that cos the noise is so little and only happens at v.low revs, the bearing should be fine, but me mechies are gonna give it a little lube up any ways.

Cheers again guys.

is your clutch heavy? if so ur clutch could be on it's way out - i had this issue. worked fine for a year with the hissing but on a very steep hill it popped - god trying to get that in gear was a horror as the car started rolling back before i realised what had happened! LOL

a new clutch is about £45-50. fitting - i got quoted £80 but ended up doing it myself.

If it is just the thrust bearing you may want to replace the whole kit as the dismantle process is just as long (and costly)...

Quick thing - when did it last have the gear box oil changed? if it was over 3 years get it done.

The clutch its self is fine, as light as its always been, no slipping or shuddering. I get to deal with motors every day that have knackered clutches where the customer thinks its the gearbox, just cos they cant select a gear with the engine running. just winch the sukka on to me recovery truck and drop at a garage. easy really.. lol

cheers again all. :c)

My second gear is sticky to enter, and kinda squeaks as you put it in, What could that be??

And my brakes squeak now when driving as slow speeds, I think its because there worn.

(sorry for hijack)

Matt

Ok first brakes

Take the pads off. if theres plenty of wear left on them stick some copper grease on the back of them - that'll stop the squeiling - if there low replace them but still do the copper grease trick.

Clutch - the micra has a manual adjustable clutch, the link is just below the batter give it a sqirt of oil and make sure theres not too much play in the cable - if so tighten it up following the haynes - this can be fiddliy.

If the cables fine and ur still getting issues it could be the clutch plate. my father informed me that the first time the clutch went he had trouble for a while going from 1-2 and 2-1. this maybe ur issue.

first heard in second gear approaching 15 mph, again in 3rd at around 22 mph, again in 4th at 30 mph and finally does it again in 5th at 40 mph.

Could be you drive far too slowly :laugh: .

Back